Movies to Watch to Celebrate the End of Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Women are everywhere. Women are in schools, workplaces, homes, and even in movies. In history, women have exhibited immense strength as they had to deal with gender roles, societal expectations, and limited opportunities. In recent years, these stories have been made into films dedicated to the women who stood up to the patriarchy and changed the lives of women forever.

Little Women

As one of my all-time favorite movies, Little Women is a classic that truly celebrates the meaning of womanhood through the story of the March family. The March family consists of four daughters: Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. The movie follows the upbringing of the March daughters and the trials and tribulations that come with growing up. Each character’s storyline shows the true strength of women and how each character, no matter their path in life, grows to find happiness.

Lady Bird

A college-bound girl renames herself “Lady Bird” in a movie about independence and finding one’s self. Saoirse Ronan plays “Lady Bird,” a teen who has big dreams of going to college across the country despite heavy criticism from her mother. When everyone tries to rationalize your big dreams, try that much harder to make your dreams a reality. Perseverance, drive, and confidence are all qualities in Lady Bird that women everywhere should have.

HIdden Figures

This movie is based on the true story of three brilliant African-American female mathematicians who worked for one of NASA’s most important missions. Despite criticism from their white male colleagues, they confidently lead the mission successfully. These women served imperative roles in NASA’s space race mission and deserved to receive credit for the completion of the mission.

on the Basis of Sex

This movie follows the life of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and the discrimination she faced as a female attorney. As she balanced her life as a new mom and as an attorney, she still aimed to change United States law forever. This film dedicated to RBG is the perfect informative biography to watch this month since her determination and grit led to justice for women for years to come.

He named me Malala

As one of the youngest ever to become a Nobel Peace Prize winner, Malala Yousafzai is a strong advocate for women’s rights in Pakistan and beyond. Malala believes that every young girl and woman is deserving of a proper education. She bravely spoke out against the Taliban and faced grave consequences, but she recovered and did not lose the fight in her. Malala serves as an inspiration for women everywhere.

These are just a few movies you can add to your watchlist to celebrate women. Women deserve to be in all places and need to be heard and respected. The stories of the strength and perseverance of these women will live on forever in history.

Kailyn Coleman

Illinois State '23

Hey guys! I am a Senior at Illinois State studying to become a Speech Language Pathologist! I love to meet new people, travel, and visit local small businesses :)