This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

October 21st. What a (mid)night. 

Midnights, Taylor Swift’s 10th studio album, was released at midnight sharp (EST) with 13 tracks. Then, the “chaotic surprise”: The deluxe edition of Midnights (fittingly called the “3 am edition”) was released three hours later, with many Swifties losing their minds in the process. These extra seven songs just expand upon the concept of sleepless nights introduced in the first 13 songs. Though it took a while for me to process the first 13 songs, and then the last seven, I wanted to discuss this album. So, meet me at whatever time you’re reading this, and sit down with Midnightsplaying in the background. 

With no lead single or sneak peaks, I had no idea what this album would sound like at all. I had heard rumors that it was a Pop album, like her sixth and seventh studio albums (1989 and Reputation, respectively), so I wasn’t even sure I would like it. And oh, how I was wrong. 

Each song is completely different, but also reminiscent of each of her other albums. There are recurring themes in this album, all revealed in her videos for Spotify: self-loathing (like “Anti-Hero”), fantasizing about revenge (like “Vigilante Shit”), wondering what could have been (like “Midnight Rain”), falling in love (like “Sweet Nothing”), and falling apart (like “You’re On Your Own, Kid”). 

These themes are so prominent in much of her work, but the songs from this album are very personal. Her last albums, folklore and evermore, focused more heavily on stories to tell rather than her own life. In this album, she dives into her deepest insecurities with the same beautiful lyricism we’ve been used to for the last decade. Even the lead single with its uplifting and energetic vibe brings very personal feelings of self-hatred to the table, with an entertaining yet emotional music video to go with it.

Because of this culmination of the themes and the diversity of the production, this album has already become one of her most successful. Critics are already calling this album her best Pop album and the records broken already prove that. Midnights became Spotify’s most-streamed album in a single day, with Taylor becoming the most-streamed artist in a single day in Spotify history. This is no easy feat, especially as the records were broken less than 24 hours after the album was released. 

In her release day Instagram post, Swift says her and her “friend for life,” Jack Antonoff, had been “toying with the ideas” within Midnights for a while and, eventually, the album was created. Among the other collaborators are William Bowery (aka Swift’s long-time boyfriend, Joe Alwyn, credited as a co-writer for Track 12, “Sweet Nothing”) and Lana Del Rey (featured in the writing and vocals of Track 4, “Snow On The Beach”). However, this is the first album that features Swift and Antonoff as the two main writers and producers of each track. 

It is clear that this pair work together beautifully—with their previous songs like “Out of the Woods,” “Getaway Car,” “Cruel Summer,” and “august,” being some of the most popular among Swifties in particular—and this album is not an exception. The production and lyricism are all on-par for a Taylor Swift album as this duo continues to blow us away—especially when seven extra songs were released three hours after the original album came out, with the deluxe “3 am edition.” 

Each song on the deluxe album is just as beautifully produced and written. “The Great War,” “High Infidelity,” and “Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve” not only continue with the concepts brought in the original album, but also include folklore and evermore collaborator Aaron Dessner. The deluxe edition enhances the wild ride of the original album and provides even more of a rollercoaster of emotions. 

With tour on every fan’s mind, Midnights only adds to the excitement (and fear of not getting tickets) of Swifties everywhere. This album might be one of her best, and it truly exceeded my expectations. Interviews, visuals, and, of course, tours are still to come, and I can’t wait to meet you all there.

In the meantime, stream Midnights and remember, you’re (not) on your own, kid. 

Emily Mepham

Illinois State '25

Hi! My name is Emily and I am an English major at Illinois State University. Obviously, as an English major, I do a lot of writing and, thankfully, I love it! My entire personality consists of coffee, Disney, and Taylor Swift. I hope you enjoy my writing at least half as much as I enjoy writing it! <3 em