This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Matt Rillie is the President of the ISU PRIDE organization. The organization is for LGBT students as well as people who show their support. Matt is extremely involved in the ISU community and has big dreams to one day help others in life as a Social Worker. We had the chance to get some of our questions answered by Rillie!

HC: For all of those who don’t know, can you explain what exactly Pride is?
Rillie: ISU Pride is Illinois State University’s student organization on campus that caters to LGBT students as well as allies. Our goal is to provide a safe, social, and educational atmosphere for the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer, questioning, curious, and allied (GLBTIQQCA) people of Illinois State University and the community.

HC: What made you want to become involved in PRIDE?
Rillie: Illinois State and the community around it have provided me with endless resources and opportunities. Pride gave me so much comfort when I came to this campus. I wanted to do all that I could to give back and to make sure that this resource continued.

HC: Can you tell us about last Friday’s Drag Show at ISU?
Rillie: This year’s show showcased performances from multiple professional drag queens and kings as well as student performers. All proceeds benefited the Prairie Pride Coalition. We worked extremely hard on this event and was excited to share all the fun and excitement with everyone!

HC: What are your plans for the future?
Rillie: I plan to continue studying Social Work at Illinois State. I cannot wait to see what other exciting opportunities the university has in store for me. I know I can be happy wherever life takes me.

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.