This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you long to find a makeup and/or skincare routine that works for you but you are frequently intimidated by all of the “get ready with me” videos and tutorials. There are so many different products and lots of steps, but I’m here to tell you it’s not all necessary! Here are some tips and tricks for lazy beauty lovers like us. 

Skincare

1. Cleanse Smarter, not Harder.

Any good makeup routine starts with a solid skincare regimen. Although, odds are if you’re reading this article you aren’t sure where to start or it’s difficult for you to stay consistent. Don’t worry, I’ve been there! My first suggestion is to move your facial cleanser to your shower. Many skincare experts will say that washing your face in the shower isn’t ideal since the water pressure and heat may be too aggressive for the skin on your face. This being said, a common obstacle in the way of sticking with a skincare routine is the fact that trying to wash your face in the sink is a hassle. The water runs down your arms and it can be difficult to be sure you’re rinsing all of the cleanser off completely to avoid breakouts. If you opt for washing your face in the shower, those issues are resolved and you can add it into your existing shower routine to stay consistent. 

2. Keep it Simple

After your face cleansing, the next steps are sometimes the most intimidating. With so many products on the market that do a myriad of different things, how do you know what’s best for you? My personal skincare philosophy is to keep it simple!  At the very least, find a moisturizer and an SPF that works well with your skin and your budget. Apply SPF every morning and apply the moisturizer according to your skin’s needs. (I like to use my moisturizer in my nighttime routine and my SPF in the morning.) If you want to level up your routine with exfoliants and/or other treatments, liquid serum-style products are going to be your best friend. They are super user-friendly. And in the exfoliants’ case, they’re gentler on your skin then physical exfoliants such as scrubs. 

Makeup

1. Starting with the “base”-ics

The trick to lazy makeup is quick, easy application and no need for touch-ups throughout the day. One of the most difficult steps to master is the base, especially when you don’t want to commit a long time to get ready. When looking for base products, pay attention to the texture. My favorite base product right now is the Serum Foundation by The Ordinary because it has a lot of pigment for coverage but it’s thin like a serum, so it blends in weightlessly. Additionally, this combination of thinness and high pigment allows me to dot the product on dark under-eyes and blend out the edges with minimal effort. If you’re looking to get more coverage from your products while not using a lot, apply to the spots you’re aiming to cover and let it dry down slightly before blending. This allows the pigment to stick and not move around as much when blending. As for avoiding touch-ups, a good setting spray is a life saver! A few spritzes and you’re all set. And if all else fails, you can just rock the no base look!  A good SPF with a bit of glowiness and a smile is sometimes all you need. 

2. Sticks, Sticks, and more Sticks

If you’re looking for lazy-friendly tips, odds are you don’t want to take up a lot of space with products either. A great way to remedy this is to make sure as many products as possible are multi-use and in a stick format. Shadow and liner pens/pencils, lip and cheek sticks, and lipsticks, no matter the section of your face, there will be a stick-style product for it! 

3. Finger-Painting Friendly

Not only are the products mentioned above space-saving and travel-friendly, but they’re also so easy to use! And most of the time the formula is creamy so you can use your fingers to blend it out… no brushes needed!  My last piece of advice is to stick to products and formulas that lend themselves well to “finger painting.”  Sifting through brushes and tools can get tiresome, not even to mention the fact that they require frequent cleaning. If you stick to more dewy, buildable cream and liquid products there’s no need for any other tools. One of my favorite products for “finger painting makeup” actually advertises this as a benefit: Glossier’s Cloud Paint. (My favorite shade is Storm) Of course, you can use any tools that make application easier for you, but lessening the number needed means less brush cleaning for future you! 

Sonny Crull

Illinois State '23

Hi! My name is Sonny Crull, I am a Senior at Illinois State, and I'm majoring in Interpersonal Communications with a minor in Music! As a writer, I aim to use my voice and platform through Her Campus to share fun, engaging, and relatable content.