Make Your Own Fall Drink Specials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Fall drinks cost a latte, make them at home!

“If you stand in front of a mirror and recite ‘pumpkin spice latte’ three times, a white girl in yoga pants will tell you all her favorite things about fall”.  I, like any girl in the fall, love pumpkin anything. But my least favorite thing about pumpkin spice lattes? The prices! Sure, fall drinks are the perfect pick-me-up during the chilly season, but it’s hard to get your daily fix when your favorite drinks start burning a hole in your wallet.  As college students, we’re all on a budget and constantly finding ways to reduce our spending.  Here are a few ways to save a few bucks and still enjoy your favorite fall drink favorites.

Buy flavored coffee to brew in your coffee pot at home

Coffee brands like Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Caribou Coffee and many more sell ground coffee that is flavor infused.  This is a cheaper way to buy a bag of coffee that can brew up to 10 cups for the prices of about two cups of coffee when you go to a café.

Use flavored creamers

If you like your regular ground coffee not infused with flavor, then use fall flavored coffee creamer!  Brew up your favorite coffee and add in one of the many fall flavored creamers available at local grocery stores. Many coffee creamers sell seasonal flavors like hazelnut, pumpkin spice, nutmeg, spiced, latte, dark chocolate mocha, vanilla caramel and cinnamon, just to name a few.

Add in your own flavor

It had been recommended to add your own fresh flavoring like ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg.

Make your own pumpkin spiced latte

With all the ingredients necessary you can make your own pumpkin spiced latte right in your own home!

2 cups milk
2 tablespoons canned pumpkin OR 1 teaspoon Torani Pumpkin Spice Syrup (your choice)
1 to 2 tablespoons sugar or sugar substitute
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, plus more to garnish
1 to 2 shots espresso, about 1/4 cup of espresso or 1/2 cup of strong brewed coffee
Whipped cream, to garnish

In a saucepan whisk together milk, pumpkin and sugar and cook on medium heat, stirring, until steaming and foam is created.

(Recipe courtesy of The Kitchn)

http://www.thekitchn.com/diy-pumpkin-spice-latte-96277