Lost Boy Bares His Uncertainties in ‘Insecure feat. Gnash’ & Learns to Let It All Be

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Dillon Deskin, AKA Lost Boy, is a singer-songwriter and producer based in Los Angeles. In just a few years, his career as a musician has taken off — and he continues to wow us with every new release.

Dating back to 2016, Lost Boy wrote Flo Rida and 99 Percent’s single, “Cake” before he started appearing in the EDM scene. He dropped his first single “Poison” the next year, which was followed by his debut EP “Big Bang“. 

In 2018, he signed with Ultra Records and released “Waste Your Time“. This debut single opened new opportunities for him as an artist. 

Lost Boy is back again with a new song, “Insecure feat. Gnash“. With a slow and soft beginning, the pace accelerates with its energy and tempo as Gnash’s honeyed verse grace. Lost Boy fills it with his silvery vocals from start to end of the track. The amazing collaboration will make you feel alive and clear out your worries.

[STREAM NOW: “Insecure feat. Gnash” – Lost Boy]

During a quick chat with Lost Boy, he goes breaks down the inspiration and ideas behind his latest single. 

“Gnash had been sent the song and luckily for us, he graced the second verse.”

While working on ‘Insecure’, how did your collaboration with Gnash come about? And, what was the experience like?

From the beginning, ‘Insecure’ felt like something really unique. Canova, the song’s producer, and I had just had an artist walk out of a session, which usually means the end of the day for us. But we decided to keep the momentum going and write another song before wrapping up. The next few hours flew by and on the other side we had “Insecure”. Had we chose to stop, who knows if we would have bottled the same energy. In an incredible turn of events, Gnash had been sent the song and luckily for us, he graced the second verse. When we got it back we knew this song had a whole new breath of life. The song to me is a great reminder to keep pushing through, sometimes the bad day can become the good one.

“The song is less about avoiding those anxious thoughts and more about letting myself think of them.”

One of the ideas behind the track is removing negativity. At a time like this, how do you keep yourself from negative thoughts and feelings?

Around the time the song was written, I saw some ad using the classic line ‘The only way out is through’ and something really resonated with me. The song is less about avoiding those anxious thoughts and more about letting myself think of them. Negative thoughts can compound without moving through them, it’s important to observe them to let them go. The time we are in now is inherently difficult, and the scope of how many lives this touches is unfathomable. My hope is that the time we have alone, or with loved ones, will give us all space to dive into ourselves and think those thoughts that scare us to come out the other side with a clearer picture of who we are and what really matters.

“And oftentimes things aren’t as treacherous as they may seem.”

Another concept is letting it all be. What are some ways that have helped you tackle certain circumstances, events, etc with a better mindset?

Presence has been an incredible tool for me. The act of slowing down, taking a breath and really observing my surroundings helps me find some distance from whatever has a hold on me. Maybe what I think is a big deal is really not, and the worry is worse than the problem. In moments when I feel like I have so much on my plate I can’t handle it I try and do my best to think, what do I really have in front of me, and often times things aren’t as treacherous as they may seem.

“We all have unproductive thoughts and feelings and that’s just one of the many things that make us human.”

There can be times where our insecurities can take over and keep us from doing what we love. What do you do to prevent your insecurities from holding you back?

Insecurity for me is the feeling of not knowing where to start, not knowing where to go, and not knowing if what I’m feeling is normal. I think it’s really important to know that almost everyone struggles with things like creativity, or finding purpose. We all have unproductive thoughts and feelings and that’s just one of the many things that make us human. When you realize you’re not alone in feeling lost it gets a little easier to find your way.

Follow Lost Boy on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for updates.

Celina Aquino

Illinois State '21

Celina Aquino is a senior studying finance and accounting at Illinois State University. She's a campus correspondent for the university's chapter as well as a national writer. Things that make her the happiest include groutfits and matcha. Check out "Style on the Move" on @hercampusstyle.
Contributor account for Illinois State