Living in Your First College Apartment: Expectations vs. Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

There is no denying that moving into your first college apartment is very exciting. Months prior to moving in, you already have an entire Pinterest board devoted to what your future apartment is going to look like. You daydream about how exciting it’s going to be living on your own without any rules or guidelines. You and your future roomies go apartment shopping together and find the cutest wall decorations. Unfortunately, when you actually move in, your state-of-mind might change a bit.

1. Cooking

Expected: I’m going to wear an apron, cook meals and become domestic.

Reality: EW, I really don’t want to touch this raw meat. I’m just going to throw it in this frying pan and see what happens.

2. Décor

Expected: I’m thinking a nice serene beach theme for the bathroom and maybe a cute espresso theme for the kitchen.

Reality: Wait a sec… How much are those bath towels? Oh salesclerk, you humor me. Now if you would kindly lead me to the clearance section.

3. Diet

Expected: As soon as I move into my new place I’m going to start eating healthy. I plan on doing meal prep every Sunday.

Reality: Five dollars for this fruit, and two for this bag of chips. I’ll take honey barbecue, potato and cheddar. Thank you strawberries for throwing off my diet.

4. Getting Ready

Expected: I’m going to decorate my antique vanity with DIY crafts and get ready there every single day.

Reality: I need to strategically place my Wal-Mart mirror in a spot that is facing the window, because natural light is cheaper than using light bulbs.

5. Bills

Expected: Paying my own bills won’t be that bad, especially since my roomies and I are splitting everything equally.

Reality: To shave my legs, or to save some money on the water bill… the debate is constant. Hey, shut that light off!

6. Groceries

Expected: I just spent more money then I wanted to at the grocery store… But at least I’ll have enough food to last me for the next month!

Reality: Slowly realizing all you bought is three frozen dinners, pasta noodles, a few snacks and a sweet potato.

The struggle is real when you live on your own. Don’t worry my friends, we’re all in this together.

Whitney Scasny

Illinois State

Public Relations major at Illinois State University
Contributor account for Illinois State