This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

All of us, at some point, go through hard times. Sometimes these rough patches can last a really long time and feel never-ending. I find that when I’m struggling, it’s the little things that help me keep moving and boost my days. I am not by any means a licensed professional and cannot guarantee any benefits, but I can promise that these little mantras are safe and worth a try. Each and every one of them has helped me exponentially!

• Journal

I’ve always been a writer, yet for some reason, I didn’t start journaling until recently. I journaled when I was a kid, I would write periodically, yet I never have been able to incorporate it into my everyday routine. It seriously is life-changing. The mental benefits behind it are unreal. I used to refrain from journaling because I was so adamant on perfecting it, making it pretty, making my writing aesthetically pleasing to read. Don’t do that! Dump your thoughts onto the paper. Any little thought you have. I promise it is so rewarding to let it out. Sometimes I swear I feel a physical release of anxiety when I’m done… but maybe that’s just me being dramatic.

• Trust yourself

When I don’t feel like myself, I try to channel the best version of myself. I think of her, her best qualities, the things she loves to do, the things she’s grateful for. I trust that she would look down on me during a rough time and be so glad that she’s out of that place and thriving. It’s so so hard to love yourself or be grateful for things when you’re not feeling like yourself. By trusting that that happy, upbeat version of yourself will come back, that this is just a rough patch, it brings a lot of peace. Try writing down things you’re grateful for or things you love about yourself. The act of just doing that every day trains us to start talking better to ourselves.

• Create routine

Routine, at least for me personally, is the backbone of my well-being. It keeps me going. When I have things to look forward to throughout the day, the day seems a little easier to conquer. I was going through a rough time this semester and counted on Wordle. Every day I’d look forward to midnight so that I could play the daily Wordle and see what score I got. Did it feel a little pathetic? Maybe. But it helped me more than I knew. Finding even the smallest things that might bring you comfort or joy and incorporating them into your daily routine is beyond helpful. Whether that’s eating your favorite food, using your favorite skincare product, seeing a friend, or playing a Wordle… give yourself some consistency.

• Exercise

Literally, the hardest thing in the world to do, especially when you’re feeling down, but I can’t even tell you how helpful and beneficial it is though, at least for me. The body and the brain are intertwined… and I’m not going to even attempt to explain further than that. All I know is that when I’m having a tough day, and I force myself to get on the treadmill, I step off of it after my workout feeling insanely better. That boost of stamina, the burning of endorphins, give me energy, motivation, and purpose. I am still not a regular gym-goer by any means, but I try to get at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day, for both my brain and my body.

• Step out of your comfort zone

Stepping out of your comfort zone is so unbelievably difficult when you’re not feeling your best mentally. Getting out of bed is extremely difficult sometimes. But that’s the thing about this one… There’s no standard to it. If getting out of bed that day is getting out of your comfort zone, then be proud of yourself for doing it. If it’s meeting with a friend, even if it doesn’t feel enjoyable, be proud that you got yourself out there. Stepping out of comfort zones is scary, but it is a huge step toward positive change.

• Channel your inner child

This is my favorite one by far. I bought a Nintendo Switch. I’ve been playing old games I used to love like Animal Crossing and Minecraft. I did it to try to channel my inner child and the things that bring her joy… and I’m so glad it did. In the midst of college, of growing up, or becoming adults, we forget the things we enjoy sometimes! We don’t realize how much we could benefit from channeling those hobbies we used to love to do. We never really realized how much they benefited us. Try finding them again. Play the instrument you haven’t played in years, do a craft, play an old game… Whatever “little you” liked to do, I bet “adult you” will enjoy just as much.

Incorporating these little things into my daily routine has benefited all my days and moods. Whether I’m sad, happy, anxious, confused, angry…I love being able to write about them in my journal, release them during a good exercise, or give myself a break from them by playing a game I enjoyed as a kid. None of these are cures, but I hope they bring you even just a little peace.

Sophie

Sophie Dominguez

Illinois State '23

Junior at Illinois State University majoring in English & Public Relations! Follow me on Insta @sophieannadominguez <3