This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Singing is something I have enjoyed since being in high school choir. So, when I found out I needed a three hour fine art credit for my major, and choir was included, I was ecstatic. On the first day, I was a little nervous because this was a COLLEGE Choir. In high school, my director was very goofy and laid back. I was always told that Choir in college was much more serious and harder musical work than in high school. On my first day of MUS 186, I was super nervous. I was going to be in a new serious choir, with a new director who I had not met before. I was relieved when I met Professor Moroni, my choral director. She is one of the sweetest, bubbly humans that I have met so far at ISU. The day that I met her I was told by the girl that sat next to me that, “She is a human Tickle-Me-Elmo. You have nothing to worry about.” I have never heard that true of a statement. Professor Moroni is such a kindhearted soul; her passion for music shows in every inch of her personality.

Name: Kristin Moroni

Degree(s): Bachelor of Music Education (University of Illinois); Master of Music, Choral Conducting & Voice Performance (Illinois State University)

Hometown: Rock Island, IL

Role Model: Dr. Karyl Carlson, Director of Choral Activities at ISU

Favorite Quote: “Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” ~Maya Angelou

Advice to Students: Extraordinary accomplishments require extraordinary effort. 

Hobbies: Cooking, Fitness, Reading

Her Campus: How long have you been teaching?

Kristin Moroni: 12 years

HC: What made you come to ISU?

KM: Graduate School in 2013

HC: How long have you lived here in Bloomington Normal?

KM: 4 years

HC: What courses do you teach here at ISU?

KM: MUS 186/286 Women’s Choir 

HC: What made you want to become a professor?

KM: The joy of working with advanced level musicians

HC: What do you like most about teaching?

KM: Building community with a diverse group of people by connecting through expression. 

HC: What type of music do you love?

KM: Musical Theater!!

HC: What is your favorite piece?

KM: I don’t think I could pick one!

HC: What has been your favorite song that you have directed?

KM: Again, I don’t think I could pick one. 

HC: What language do you enjoy singing in?

KM: French

HC: What languages have you sung in?

KM: English, French, German, Italian, Latin, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, Haitian Creole, etc. 

HC: How long have you been involved in music?

KM: I started taking piano lessons in 2nd grade; I think that’s about 28 years.

HC: What instruments can you play?

KM: Piano, Clarinet, and a little Guitar

HC: What voice part(s) can you sing?

KM: My ‘fach’ is ‘coloratura soprano.’

I am excited to see what this new semester of Choir bring us. New year, new music!! 

Renata Serpico

Illinois State

Freshman at Illinois State - Golden Apple Scholar
Contributor account for Illinois State