This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Photos by: Lindsay Nardini 

This week’s campus celeb, Kaitlyn Rose, is not only one of my best friends and coworkers, but she is also one of the famous Apricot Lane Boutique models! She can be found modeling the boutiques clothing on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. I’ve come to learn that Kaitlyn has one of the best personalities and can make you laugh even if you are having an awful day. I got to sit down with Kaitlyn and talk about her experiences as a model for Apricot Lane and here’s what she said!

HC: So Kaitlyn, tell us a little bit about yourself!

Kaitlyn: I am 21 years old from a small town called Washington. My mom Kim, is my best friend and biggest supporter. Even though my mom is my best friend I am also a daddy’s girl. I have two younger brothers, a dog named Maddee and three cats; Friskey, Tripp and Spook. My grandpa Emmett who is 92, lives with us as well, he keeps the humor in the household and always has us laughing.

HC: When did you start working for Apricot Lane and why?

Kaitlyn: I started working there in October 2010. I got the position through a family friend who was also my neighbor; at that point I had no interest in being a fashion major. I always had an interest in fashion but never knew I could have the tools to make it into a successful career someday.

HC: When you first got the job how did you feel about it?

Kaitlyn: I’m not going to lie, at first I was terrified to interact with customers! I wanted to sit in the back and tag jewelry all day, but I ended up being really good with the customers at it so they made me get back out there.

HC: During your starter months, what was favorite thing to do?

Kaitlyn: After I finally got over my fear of conversing with people on a professional level, I came to realize I was OBSESSED with making people feel good about themselves through their style. I like to help make sure that a persons personality shines through their clothing, and doesn’t hide who they are.

HC: When were you first asked to model for AL and what did you think of the experience?

Kaitlyn: After about a month and a half my boss asked me see what I looked like in front of the camera in some of the merchandise. I’ll have to admit, the other day I was looking back at some of the first pictures Apricot Lane Peoria took of me and I was definitely shocked (and embarrassed) to see how much I have improved since then. My poses and smiles were so rehearsed and fake looking, but I am much more life like now.

HC: Apricot Lane Peoria began to grow tremendously because of the owners Jena Green and Renee Dixon promoting the boutique through both in store and online shopping, how did you grow and adjust to the new changes?

Kaitlyn: Coming back to work after being at ISU was a whole new ball game. I had to be on my toes 24/7. We had to keep track of a lot of different stores and new merchandise coming in every day. I was also asked to work at both Peoria and Online as a model, which made my life a lot busier.

HC: What a day in the life of an Apricot Lane Model?

Kaitlyn: I come into work at my scheduled time, usually 11 or 12, then I style all the new merchandise we get and make sure the outfits all mesh together. I come ready with my hair and makeup already done. On a typical day I model 8-12 outfits but when our buyer makes a trip to LA it increases to about 20-25 a day.  Even though my day can be hectic and stressful, I do enjoy spending some time in front of the camera. (Flashes a big smile)

HC: After looking through some of the Apricot lane Peoria and Bloomington-Normal pictures I have seen a few blooper shots that were quite funny, tell us about those?

Kaitlyn: When it comes down to it, I am not a very serious person. I love to laugh and have fun in any situation I’m in, and love to make people smile. I would be lying if I said I didn’t brighten people’s day at work with my funny personality and dance moves.

HC: What is your favorite dance move?

Kaitlyn: My infamous Bernie of course!

HC: How is it working at every Apricot Lane, (AL Normal, AL Peoria, AL Warehouse?)

Kaitlyn: Its really fun but it also keeps me very busy. Working at all the locations is great because I get to see all the girls that work there and have developed close bonds with a lot of them.

HC: You were recently accepted into Apparel merchandizing and design at Illinois State, congratulations! Tell us about what you hope to do with that?

Kaitlyn: I definitely want to keep working for Jena and Renee (the apricot lane owners). I hope to one day potentially be a manager and merchandiser myself and I to travel on buying trips with Jena to to help keep expanding Apricot Lane!

HC: Would you say that working for Apricot Lane as a sales associate and model changed your life?

Kaitlyn: Yes definitely, I feel very blessed to have had this experience. I have grown so much and continue to learn something new every time I work. Work is always a fun environment due to my amazing bosses and fun coworkers. I have been really lucky to have found a job that I can see myself at for the rest of my life.

Please go and like/follow Apricot Lane on social media:

Facebook:

• @Apricot Lane Peoria
  • @Apricot Lane Bloomington-Normal
  • @Apricot Lane Nashville

Twitter:

• @Apricotlanepeo
  • @ApricotLaneBlon

Pinterest:

• Apricotlanepeo

Instagram:

• Apricotlanepeoria
  • Apricotlanenormal
  • Apricotlanenashville

Website (shop online)- Apricotlanepeoria.com

Falynn Lannert

Illinois State

Megan Lawler

Illinois State