This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Those who know Kaitlyn personally know what a hardworking, caring and hilarious person she is. She encompasses so many qualities that has helped her succeed when it comes to managing course work, several internships AND a social life. That’s why it is no surprise to many that Kaitlyn will be able to graduate this coming May as a junior. Yes, you did just read that right. Find out more about this amazing Redbird and her suggestions for success in managing your time wisely, having the courage to go the distance, and remembering to treat yourself in the process.

Name: Kaitlyn

Hometown: Virginia, IL

Major: Public Relations

Age: 20

Celebrity Crush: Robert Downey Jr.

Favorite Social Media Platform: Instagram

Role Model: My Mom

Her Campus Illinois State: What advice would you give for anyone that aspires to get all of their credits done early and graduate at a junior status?

Kaitlyn: I never thought it would be possible to graduate with an undergraduate degree in 3 years, but I have found that through hard work and dedication, it really is. The funny story is that I actually wasn’t planning on graduating early…it kind of just happened. I have realized that if you set your mind to it, anything is possible. If you work your butt off to get good grades, take summer classes, and work to persevere with an instilled confidence, you can do it too. It’s not easy but entirely possible. My one piece of advice would be to not kill yourself over all the schoolwork though. You have to make sure to have fun with it too. I chose to study abroad over the summer in Italy – that was my little treat to myself with having worked so hard to get to where I am.

HC ISU: With a crazy last-semester schedule, what do you do to relax in your free time?      

Kaitlyn: I don’t have too much free time, but when I do, I like to hang out with friends and family and read (something not related to school). Reading helps take my mind off of everything so I try to fit that in at least once a day.

HC ISU: Where can people find you on campus on a typical day?

Kaitlyn: All my classes are in Fell Hall so I spend most of my time there. If I am not in class I am most likely in the atrium at the Bone or at my apartment. At night, I tend to be at one of my friends’ apartments to get a mental break from all the stress!

HC ISU: Do you have a favorite local spot and if so, what is it?

Kaitlyn: One of my favorite spots is right on campus: the atrium in the Bone. I love the lighting and they always have some good jams playing. I tend to be really productive when I’m there.

HC ISU: What are you involved with on campus?

Kaitlyn: These last two semesters I have had to kind-of take a step back from a lot of my clubs because I am very busy. But when I am able to make meetings, I am in the Public Relations Student Society of America ISU Chapter (PRSSA), Association for Women in Communication, PINK Street Team, and serve as an Admissions Office Volunteer Tour Guide.

HC ISU: What is your favorite go-to comfort food?

Kaitlyn: I am always in the mood for any kind of Mexican food. You can call me anytime, any day of the week, and I can guarantee that I will be there if Mexican food is involved HA!

HC ISU: What are your plans for the future?

Kaitlyn: I have actually applied and gotten into the School of Communication Graduate Program here at ISU. So, if I decide to pursue that, I may still be here for a couple more years. If not, I want to move closer to home and pursue an online Masters degree and work at a college or university.

HC ISU: What is one thing that you will miss about ISU?

Kaitlyn: All of it. The good, the bad and the in-between. I can guarantee that I will miss all of it. All of the quirky spots you can study at, the friends that make the stress bearable, and the atmosphere of being on campus will make it hard to leave come May. If I leave in May after graduation, I know I am going to have a lot of memories to look back on and miss for sure.

Cassie Zimmer

Illinois State

Hi! My name is Cassie Zimmer and I am a writer for HerCampus Illinois State. I am so excited to have just joined an awesome group of ladies to share my love of writing with. I am a fashionista who loves keeping up to date with the latest trends in the fashion industry. I hope to write articles that will be enjoyable for the fans of HerCampus to read and will hopefully take something away from the information I provide.
Contributor account for Illinois State