Junie B. Jones Author, Barbara Park dies at age 66

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

“I’m not actually sure I’m grown-up enough for grown-up books.” –Barbara Park.

The inspiring author of the Junie B. Jones children’s series passed away Monday at age 66.

As I walked myself to the library Monday night, I was swiping through the pages of People Magazine on my smart phone and I came across a picture of the one and only, Junie B. Jones.

My childhood instantly flooded back to me. Like the time my mom read three of the goofy chapter books to me all before bed time because neither her nor I could stop reading. They were just too funny. Now, if you don’t remember these books or didn’t read them, your childhood was certainly lacking.

So of course I clicked on the link. The title read: “Barbara Park, Junie B. Jones Author, Dies at 66”.

I immediately sent the link to my mom and we reminisced about those moments before bedtime when I was a child. My favorite author of childhood fiction has passed away at only 66. Barbara Park was the reason I read books, the start of my love for writing. Her quirky, sassy and hilarious characters were brought to life by her amazing talent. She had a writing style that cannot be matched. Park was a pure genius of childhood literature.

“The B stands for Beatrice. Except I don’t like Beatrice. I just like B and that’s all.”

This line was a classic introduction to Junie B. in the chapter books. Junie B. never liked her middle name so she made sure everyone knew to just say “B.” The timeless “Junie B. Jones” children’s series was a huge success. Park developed Junie’s character to be unlike any other. The one of a kind sass Junie B. possessed became infamous and consistent in her many books.

With over 30 children’s books, Park became well known among young readers in the 90’s, such as myself. According to Random House Books, Park sold over 55 million copies of the Junie B. books in North America alone. She was also a frequent winner of the Children’s Choice Awards.

Park’s death was unfortunately due to her 7-year battle with ovarian cancer. Park helped found a non-profit organization called Sisters in Survival (SIS). SIS is a all volunteer program that aims to provide financial aid to cancer patients.

Park accomplished great things in her lifetime and has left her mark upon many young readers. 

For more information on SIS visit: sistersinsurvival.org 

Alexandria Jenkins

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State