This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Not only do I call Julia Kirk one of my best friends, but I also call her a role model. Fiercely independent, kind and hilarious, Julia is working hard this semester to put her criminal justice major to the test.

Name: Julia Kirk

Age: 22

Year: Senior

Major: Criminal Justice Sciences

Hometown: Springfield, IL

Guilty Pleasure: Watching weird documentaries on Netflix for hours. 

Nickname: The Jooj

Her Campus Illinois State: What is your favorite thing about ISU?

Julia Kirk: Other than my best friends who live here, my favorite thing about ISU is definitely chilling out on the Quad in spring and summer. Not only is it gorgeous during these seasons, it’s also the perfect place to relax and people watch.

HC ISU: Tell us about your internship.

JK: I am an intern at the McLean County Courthouse with Adult Probation. I am specifically with the Intensive Probation Officer who works with individuals that are on probation but are deemed “high risk” because of certain issues. This is an extremely hands-on internship. I am constantly either in court, meeting with clients in the office or doing home visits with my supervisor. I can honestly say I am very thankful for this internship because I am getting so many real life experiences that I wouldn’t get if I was just in school this semester. 

HC ISU: What are your plans past the internship?

JK: As of this very moment, my plan is to kind of just see where life takes me. This is actually the first time in my life where I literally have no plan, but in my opinion, 22 is the perfect age to just go with the flow and see where I end up. I would love to land a full-time job in my field right after graduation, but I’m also excited to take my time and find a job I’m truly passionate about. Whether that job will be here in Bloomington-Normal or on the other side of the country, I’m excited to explore my options.

HC ISU: If you could do absolutely anything with your degree, what would it be?

JK: I would love to be a detective. Investigating murders and interrogating suspects has always been my dream job.

HC ISU: What will you miss the most about ISU?

JK: Living within a two-mile radius of the amazing girls I get to call my best friends, and also using, “I’m in college!” as an excuse for absolutely everything. 

Taylor Leddin

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State