ISU Homecoming Itinerary 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Alas the fall season of pumpkin spice everything, riding boots and oversized sweaters is among us. I can’t think of a better way to kick off the month of October than with HOMECOMING! Yep, that’s right Redbirds it is time to throw on your spirit gear, secure your tailgate spot, and grab your foam finger (Miley Cyrus not included) in preparation of homecoming festivities. All of us ladies at Her Campus are PUMPED to celebrate homecoming week! That being said here is a list of some of the events that will be taking place:

Homecoming Kickoff- Monday September 30th 6-8 p.m.

On Monday, September 30th from 6-8p.m. gather all of your homies and head out to the quad for the Homecoming Kickoff. There is no better way to get the spirit flowing than providing poor college student with free grub, am I right?! Don’t forget your ID! 

Redbird Rumble Teams Competition- Tuesday October 1st 7 p.m.

Someone go wake up Green Day, September is officially over (lolz). Tuesday, October 1st  at 7 p.m. is the annual RedBird Rumble, where teams will be participating in many different field games for a chance win the title of “Champion”. Didn’t sign up for a team? No worries, head on over and cheer on your favorite team to victory and check out Illinois State University’s very own Competitive Dance Team performing at half time!

Homecoming Carnival- Wednesday  October 2nd 7 -11 p.m.

Before I go into all of the wonder and magic that goes along the Homecoming Carnival, I am going to throw it out there this is an event you do NOT want to miss out on! Starting at 7 p.m. on the first floor of the Bone Student Center, there will be everything from a caricature artist and I balloon artist to a photo booth, carnival games, giveaways, and food! The Gamma Phi Circus will also be performing at 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. in the Brown Ballroom. I don’t know about you, but I will be first in line to get in the door. (If you just heard Taylor Swift’s song 22 while reading the last line please go run your head under cold water because you have been brainwashed.)

October’s Own Concert hosted by A Trend to Follow- Thursday October 3rd 7 p.m.

There will be free tunes coming from the Brown Ballroom at the Bone Student Center on Thursday at 7.p.m. Don’t miss out of this concert event. The lineup (drum roll, please) is as follows:

Spenzo – Tink
Assata Jones
Team Bayside High
Milk n Cookies
Dirty Noize

Doors open at 6:30!

Bonfire and Royalty Crowning- Friday October 4th 7 p.m.
Look out William and Kate, Illinois State University has royalty of their own! Come out on Thursday October 4th to the North Entrance of Redbird Arena for the crowning of this year’s 2013 Homecoming King and Queen! This event will also include free food, music, and a bon fire.

Illinois State Homecoming Parade- Saturday October 5th 10 a.m.

Start your morning off right at the corner of College Avenue and University Street for the kickoff of the homecoming parade at 10 a.m. Tons of ISU’s RSOs, Greek Life chapters, and campus organizations will be represented and walking in the parade.

Redbird Football and Tailgating- Saturday October 5th 11 a.m. Tailgate & 2 p.m. Game Start
CALLING ALL REDBIRDS!  On Saturday October 5th at 11 a.m., “ILSTU Christmas” tailgating begins. If you have not seen the newly renovated Hancock Stadium this is your chance! At 2 p.m. eager fans will be heading into Hancock Stadium to cheer on the ISU football team as they take on Western Illinois University.

To all of my fellow Redbirds have fun and be safe! As the famous saying goes…HOMECOMING comes but once a year spreading lots of REDBIRD cheer!