Culture > News

Illinois State vs Bradley: The Fight to End Childhood Cancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

If you go to Illinois State, you would know that our rival school in all aspects is Bradley University in Peoria, IL. On game days you will see stadiums full of both teams, and many “Buck Fradley” shirts in the stands. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, many sports games have been canceled for the semester, thus the rivalry is not as exciting, BUT Illinois State and Bradley have been competing for something other than sports and academics.

St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital opened its doors in 1962 in the segregated South in Memphis, TN by Danny Thomas. Many told Danny that it couldn’t be done, that it was a dream that would “break his heart.” Danny Thomas, but people of all backgrounds together: patients, families, and staff, particularly black and white doctors and nurses, side-by-side and sharing the same cafeteria and restrooms, all working to save the children of the world. St. Jude is a place built not just on the idea of finding cures for children with catastrophic illnesses, but the idea that all people should be treated with dignity, regardless of their race, religion, or economic station, at no cost because all a family should worry about is helping their child survive.

Since St. Jude costs millions of dollars, a day to run, and patients to do not receive a bill, many collegiate schools across the country host events with various names to fundraise for St. Jude and keep the doors open. Illinois State is one of those schools.

2017, Illinois State alone raised $193,000.

2018: $123,000

2019: $109,000

ISU is the second highest fundraising school in the NATION. For the past five years, we’ve been in the top five fundraising schools in the nation

Since ISU’s first Up til Dawn event in 2007, Illinois State University has raised $1,438,769.92 for St. Jude!

Usually, there is an in-person, overnight event, but unfortunately, due to COVID-19 and its restrictions, we will not be able to host an overnight, in-person event like years past. However, we WILL be hosting an online VIRTUAL event which you can attend on October 27th from 7-8 pm.

You can check out our page, register, or make a donation by following the link provided below!

https://fundraising.stjude.org/site/TR?fr_id=123172&pg=entry

Lot’s of Love,

Jess

Jessica Hogeboom

Illinois State '22

ISU 2022 | Elementary Education Follow me on Instagram : @jesshogeboom
Contributor account for Illinois State