Life > Academics

How to Transition Back to In-Person Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s finally time for students to be back in school for in-person classes—well for some of us at least! The last year, and even before that, was filled with extenuating circumstances, leaving students with no choice but to learn in an online format. Learning remotely has been challenging for many students, myself included, which is why it’s great to know that schools are transitioning back to in-person classes or at least a hybrid format. Keep on reading to learn how to best transition back into the classroom!

The most important tip is to adjust your schedule. In-person class means there is no logging into Zoom from your bedroom, three minutes after your alarm goes off. Take the necessary steps to plan out your schedule. That may include deciding whether to shower at night to get those few extra minutes of sleep, or perhaps you need that shower to wake you up for the day. Look into ways to organize your week. I find that I can do that best with a planner but feel free to find a method that works best for you. Consider time blocking your day if you have a lot of homework or studying that needs to be completed.

Another great idea is to be prepared. Plan out your outfit the night before. Try to dress the part for your class. Even though it’s great to be comfy, it’s important to be in the right learning mindset. I find it helpful to pack my school bag the night before, that way I don’t forget any of my textbooks, especially if I’m going to be staying on campus between my classes. Experiment with getting your schoolwork done ahead of time. Even just a day or two might be extremely helpful if you find yourself being overwhelmed with a busy day and need to take that time to de-stress.  

Remember to be social! Talk with your classmates and get to know your professors. Remember how weird it was “meeting” peers virtually in little boxes? Well now, we get to see each other in person… don’t waste that opportunity! Appreciate being in community with each other. Another thing to mention with in-person classes is knowing that it is okay if you are feeling nervous or are having a hard time with this adjustment. Everyone may be in a similar position. Professors and teachers may have to adjust plans on the fly, course schedules and syllabi may get updated, and so forth. Try to be flexible with how things are going. We hope no more big adjustments are heading our way, but just be aware that change is always a possibility.

Know that transitioning back into in-person classes will come more naturally than you think. It’s not always going to be smooth sailing by any means, but remember how we had to adapt to remote schooling and know that this is just flipped. Remember if you are struggling with this transition reach out to your professors, a counselor, or even your friends and family. You are not in this transition period alone. You got this!

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!