This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As December begins, there are a lot of things to look forward to––the holidays, a break from school and nearing the end of another year––but one thing most people do not look forward to is the dreadful cold weather. Here are a few tips and reminders to help you survive the cold weather. 

CLothes

First, let’s talk about clothing! Staying warm is all about layering. With layering, you can be comfortable outside in the cold weather, and then once you get inside, you can take off necessary items in order to be comfortable there as well. Also, the winter clothes you are buying should be of good quality, and, trust me, it’s worth it even if they are a little more expensive (although you might be surprised at how many cheaper and good quality winter clothes there are out there). This advice goes for coats and jackets, boots, hats, gloves, or anything else you need that will keep you warm. 

food and Drinks

Another way to stay warm during this time is by drinking warm drinks! Hot chocolate, coffee and tea are always simple things to keep you toasty. Making these drinks is also a perfect excuse to wrap yourself in blankets, drink your hot drink out of a cute mug and watch your favorite show or read your favorite book. 

staying safe

Considering cold temperatures aren’t the only thing that comes with the winter weather, there is also snow and ice. With that being said, give yourself a little extra time to get places. When you’re walking places, be careful and look out for icy spots on the ground. By giving yourself an extra five minutes or so to get places, you can guarantee that you can be safe and get where you need to go in time. 

self-care

Finally, one last thing that tends to come up with cold weather is prolonged gray skies. While some people may enjoy this gray weather, others may dislike the dreary weather. If you find yourself relating to the latter, make sure to spend time taking care of yourself. Write in a journal, watch your favorite show, read your favorite book, listen to music; do anything else that can help keep your spirits up during the gray days. 

If you know how to properly prepare for the winter, it can be a really exciting time of year. When there is less stress on trying to find something to keep you warm, you can spend more time enjoying the moments of one of the greatest times of the year. 

Sarah Knowlton

Illinois State '24

Hi I'm Sarah! I am a junior at Illinois State and I am majoring in Human Development and Family Science! After I finish my bachelor's degree, I plan to get my master's degree in Human Development and Family Science as well. Besides writing, I like to read, watch TikToks, make art, and bake!