This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Reading slumps are arguably the worst times for people who love reading. Sometimes this means trying to read many different books and none of them working or not being able to find a book that is appealing enough to try and read. I have been through this experience many times, so here are some things I like to do to cure my reading slumps.

1. Try short stories 

One thing that always leads me to a reading slump is feeling like I don’t have time to read a long book. After not reading for a while, longer books can be intimidating. I have found that reading short stories or poems helps ease me back into reading, rather than trying to read a long novel right away. Short stories can also keep your attention for just the right amount of time. They aren’t a huge time commitment or something you will have to keep reading long-term. 

2. Have a go-to book

My next piece of advice sort of ties into the first. Whether it’s your favorite book, a collection of short stories, a shorter novel or a book that you know will be an easy read, having a book you can always come back to can help cure your reading slump. This way, you know what you’re getting into with this book, and it’s a book you know you will enjoy. No matter what book you pick, the goal with your go-to book should be that it is mindless reading. This strategy can help take away the stress of trying to keep track of everything in a brand-new book. My go-to book for my reading slumps is Coraline by Neil Gaiman. It’s shorter and an easy read for me. The book helps me get back into the pattern of reading and gets me excited for another book. 

3. Recommendation lists online 

Sometimes getting out of your reading slump just requires finding the right books again. I am always looking at recommendation lists online or YouTube videos to see what other people are reading. Recommendation lists don’t always have to be boring either! There are so many unique book lists out there that can help with recommendations. For example, book recommendations based on your favorite tv show. Of course, you could always find a good friend to give you recommendations, because what else are friends for? Another one of my favorite ways to find book recommendations is to Google my favorite authors’ favorite books. There are so many lists, articles, TikToks and YouTube videos that can help you find a new book. The opportunities are endless. 

While reading slumps can be difficult to get through, taking time to really find a good book can make a huge difference. There’s also no shame in not reading something for a while until you can find the proper book for you. As they say, “distance makes the heart grow fonder,” so maybe take a break from reading for a while, and come back to your books when you’re ready. There are so many amazing books out there that can help you break out of your slump, you just have to find what works for you.

Sarah Knowlton

Illinois State '24

Hi I'm Sarah! I am a junior at Illinois State and I am majoring in Human Development and Family Science! After I finish my bachelor's degree, I plan to get my master's degree in Human Development and Family Science as well. Besides writing, I like to read, watch TikToks, make art, and bake!