This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Let’s be honest – public speaking isn’t for everyone. In fact, even the best public speakers sometimes get nervous before they have to deliver a speech. Public speaking anxiety, or PSA, is a real thing – and it affects almost everyone at one point or another. So, if you feel your heart beating fast, your palms becoming sweaty, or butterflies in your stomach before a presentation, then this article is for you!

I am definitely not an expert when it comes to public speaking, but I have had to deliver many speeches throughout my educational career. And as a student studying public relations, I know public speaking is something I cannot escape. So, that’s why I’ve learned a few tips and tricks to help ease my mind – and heart rate – before a big presentation.

ADMIT YOU’RE NERVOUS

First and foremost, it’s important to admit your nervousness. As stated above, even the most experienced public speakers can have feelings of nervousness before presenting. Admitting that you are nervous and realizing that most of your peers are also nervous public speakers, can actually help reduce your nerves. Before I present, I always think to myself, “Okay, I’m nervous about this presentation, but it’s going to be okay. I’m sure there are a few nervous public speakers in my audience too!”

BE AWARE OF HAND GESTURES

I can definitely say that I speak with my hands. Many people naturally speak with their hands; however, hand gestures can become more apparent when someone is nervous. Although hand gestures can be a great nonverbal communication tool when speaking, it’s important to not use gestures too much as they can be distracting for the audience. I always tell myself to only use hand gestures when trying to emphasize a point within my speech.

USE VISUAL AIDS

Visual aids (PowerPoint, infographic, video, etc.) can help individuals who dislike having all the attention on them as well as help people stay on topic during a presentation. I always use PowerPoints when giving a presentation to a class as it helps the audience avert their eyes from me once in a while. Of course, it’s also important to note when using a visual aid that you should not be reading off the screen the entire presentation.

DEVELOP A STRONG ATTENTION “GETTER”

This tip may seem obvious, as many teachers and professors say, “make sure to grab your audience from the beginning,” but the truth is that many people ignore using an attention-getter. Some individuals feel awkward starting with a statistic, quote, or funny story and would rather just get into the topic of the presentation. However, starting with a creative attention-getter is a good way to show your personality at the beginning of a presentation. In my experience, using an attention-getter also helps reduce my nerves as it makes the presentation feel less formal and scary!

There are many ways to reduce public speaking anxiety, and the above are just a few. It’s important to remember that not every tip or trick will work for everyone. So, next time you have a presentation coming up, take the time to find out which tips work for you.

Elise Fricilone

Illinois State '23

Hi everyone! My name is Elise, and I am a senior at Illinois State! I am majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Sociology. I have a huge passion for not only writing, but also reading! You can find me with my nose under a book almost everyday. I also have a huge love for all things fashion, cosmetics, health and lifestyle – so you can find those topics in my articles! Feel free to follow my instagram: elisefricilone