How My Sorority Family Got Me Through The Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Over the course of my junior year, I not only learned a lot about myself but also about others. Going into college, I knew I wanted to join a sorority in hopes of allowing myself to grow and meet people. Since my bid day, I have not only gotten sisters and friends, but I also got a support system that has allowed me to vent about any inconvenience in life, be stupid around, go on impulsive food runs, and have people that can pick me up when I am down. The members of my sorority that have shown up and stood by me time and time again are the members that I am fortunate to call my gbig/grandma (Lizzy), littles/children (Alex and Meg), glittles/grandchildren (Annika, Sydney, Maura, and Lauren), and gglittles/great-grandchildren (Madeline and Brianna).

Going into a sorority, I never knew the power and dynamic that a solid and fun big/little family can have. My freshman year, my Gbig Lizzy, who was a senior at the time, was my rock and person, as I tried to navigate and find my place in college. Now with her being an advisor for my chapter, our connection has only been able to grow. She has been able to give me advice on position ideas, help me stay on track with my thoughts, and is constantly picking me up when I’m down.

In my sophomore year, I was able to take two littles (twins), Alex after primary recruitment in Fall 2020, and Meg after informal recruitment in 2021. My littles had been my entire rock and foundation throughout the entire year and have constantly been encouraging me to do the things I am passionate about. My littles have turned me into the sorority woman I am today and I can’t imagine my life today without them. They have constantly had my back whether it be disagreements with other people, running for positions, or trying something new.

Junior Year, I was fortunate enough to get 4 glittles (grandchildren) after 2021 primary recruitment. Both of my littles ended up taking twins, and from there I knew our family tree could never die. Annika, Sydney, Maura, and Lauren joined our family, and they have become the people I am closest to within the sorority. Becoming a grandma and now getting to help people throughout their first year at ISU similar to how Lizzy did for me is something that I love and feel honored to do. These young ones have been so much fun to be around and take on coffee dates, drives to the house, emotional meltdown car rides, and random adventures.

Just recently, Annika and Sydney decided to take littles, making me a Great-Grandma. Madeline and Brianna were both informal recruits and have already made their impact and mark in AOII. They have been such fun girls to welcome into our family and have already made me proud.

Without my sorority family, I would not be able to do the things I am doing today and be able to pursue the things I am passionate about. From moments where I debate if being in a stressful position is worth it, having life events being thrown at me, or just not having a good day, they will always be there to help me take my mind off of things and help me push through my issues. Going into recruitment, I knew I wanted a sisterhood and friends, but instead Alpha Omicron Pi was able to give me a family. I know not everyone is as fortunate to have such a strong and loving family, and that is okay too.

Your sorority family does not have to be your best friends, and at first, I did not think my family was either. However, throughout the pandemic and now being able to grow and do things together, we have been able to build a closer bond. Now finishing my junior year and going into my final year of college, these are the friendships and people I know that will reflect and look back on, knowing that they helped me become who I am.

Anne Sattler

Illinois State '23

Hey! My name is Anne and I am a junior at Illinois State majoring in Mass Media: Marketing, Promotions, and Sales. My three personality traits are harry styles, iced coffee, and Alpha Omicron Pi. Instagram: anne.sattler TikTok: anneesattler927