This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Fashion has always been a popular way to express yourself. It’s not always easy to share who you are with your words, especially to people you aren’t comfortable with. Showing who you are through your clothing can be a very empowering thing. In order to do so, you have to find your personal style. Now, this sounds like it would be super easy, but if you’re as fashion obsessed as me, that isn’t always the case.

Every day there are new fashion trends blowing up your Instagram and Pinterest. It can definitely get a little overwhelming. Fast fashion is so popular now. What was cool last week is totally forgotten once the biggest influencers snap that new pic in what’s supposed to be this season’s hottest item. Don’t get me wrong – constantly seeing all of these trends can elevate your look. Inspiration is key! But seeing so many different looks on so many different people can cloud your judgment. I have so many friends who buy every new, trendy fashion piece even if they will never wear it.

Truly being stylish means knowing what you like and what looks good on your body type. Everyone is different and beautiful in their own ways. What looks amazing on one person might look less than fabulous on the next. And that is totally OKAY! It is important to stay true to yourself and find pieces that will help you express who you are.

Here are a few tips to help you find your personal style:

1. Try stuff on! Sometimes it can be so tedious, but you will never know until you explore all of your options.

2. Think about what you want to say with your clothes.

3. Don’t follow all of the trends. If you love it, get it, girl!

4. Don’t overthink it. Fashion is supposed to be fun!

5. Pinterest, Pinterest, Pinterest!

Allison O'Brien

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State