This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As college students, we sometimes get upset and moody for no reason. It can happen at any time, but it usually pops up more during the end of the year. Here are ten ways to cheer yourself up next time you’re feeling blue:

1. Reach out to someone

A lot of the time, being alone can be damaging instead of making you feel better. Go and talk to someone who will listen to you and help you get out of your funk. You don’t even have to talk about feeling down. Just being in the company of someone you care about can help your mental health.

2. Listen to music

Music can help put you in a better mood. Make sure to listen to upbeat music and music that just makes you feel good. It will help your brain change your mood to match the music.

3. Cuddle with a significant other or pet

If you have a significant other or a pet, cuddling with them can release oxytocin. Oxytocin is known as the feel-good hormone, so cuddling will just make you feel better in a healthy way.

4. Go for a walk or exercise

Exercising releases endorphins that make you happy. So even if you just feel like lying in bed by yourself, you should get up and walk around the block. This will get you out of the house and get you moving. If you add music to your walk, you can double up and feel better faster.

5. Write

For the more creative people out there, writing can be a great outlet. Writing a poem or a short story can make you feel accomplished, and in the end, you will have your feelings and thoughts out on a paper in front of you. When you are done writing, you will have worked through what you are feeling and feel better.

6. Take a nap

Sometimes you just need to recharge. Stress can make you depressed and not feel the best, so taking a short nap of 30 minutes to an hour can help wonders. Try not to sleep too long, though, because that can be counterproductive.

7. Try breathing exercises

Sometimes you just need to take a break and focus on your breathing. There are many videos and apps that have different breathing exercises. This can calm your mind down and make you focus on something other your thoughts.

8. Do something fun

Sometimes you just need to do something fun, something you usually don’t do. If you feel like you just want to lie in bed and do nothing, make yourself get up and do something fun. This will get your mind off of your thoughts and onto something else.

9. Watch funny or inspiring YouTube videos

There is a reason why cat videos are so popular on YouTube. These videos just make the viewer happy and feel good about everything. So watch some cute or funny videos on YouTube. There are many to choose from, so watch whatever will make you feel better.

10. Cry

Sometimes you just need to cry. It might be about nothing, but you will feel better afterwards. Crying releases pain and some of those negative thoughts in your head. If you go this route, make sure to drink water to stay hydrated and do something different if this doesn’t help.

While students can feel blue any time of the year, the end of the semester and finals time can make anyone feel more down. So if you are feeling moody and blue, make sure you take care of yourself because mental health is just as important as physical health.

Contributor account for Illinois State