This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

How To Avoid The Freshmen 15

By: Allie Nowak – Health September 17th, 2018 at 11:20am

Heading off to college opens the door to complete freedom and the opportunity to start making choices for yourself. It also opens the doors to your dorm’s dining hall. From pasta, donuts, rice bowls, and of course, the glorious ice cream bar, it’s a virtual minefield of carbs and sugary snacks. Sounds like heaven right? Sure your jeans have gotten a little tighter and that “summer bod” you worked for is starting to fade, but you’re sure you’ll walk it off on your way to class tomorrow. In class, you get invited to a late night study group. It sounds like a great opportunity to secure that “A” on your next exam – and they’re having pizza! Before you know it, you’re a victim of the infamous “Freshman 15!” To try to avoid that from being your fate, here’s five choices you won’t regret.

1. Healthy Snacks 

Whether you’re studying or binge watching Netflix, there will be plenty of times where you’re sitting in your dorm and you reach for the snack drawer. Keeping healthier options readily available can help you feel more energized and keep off some extra pounds. Keep fruit,  healthier popcorn, nuts, apples, or granola bars in your stash of stuff. Look for items that have 9 grams of sugar to make sure you’re staying on track!

2.   Water!!! 

Dehydration can cause migraines, stress, and an overall lack of energy, so it’s worth your time to focus on staying hydrated. College is a prime time when a lot of people get hooked on coffee! Between loads of homework, studying, and trying to get up for 8am classes, you’ll grab any source of energy you can get. Keep in mind that a lot of popular lattes are really desserts in disguise. Although regular coffee isn’t the worst thing for you, the caffeine can make you jittery.  Drinking soda from the dining hall is another sneaky contributor to weight gain, so be sure to keep a bottle of water in your backpack and drink it throughout the day! If you start to go to parties and drink alcohol, you’re going to need to replenish your body. Drinking 16 ounces of water (that’s a full red solo cup) between other drinks will keep you hydrated and increase your chances of avoiding the dreaded hang over. 

3.   The Dining Hall 

The dining hall is a blessing and a curse. At first it seems amazing having all types of various foods ready for you to grab. Where else can you have Italian, Chinese, and Mexican food, all at once! The down side is that much of the food in college dining halls are carbs because they fill people up faster and are cheaper to get. Carbalicious foods are a huge contributor to how students can quickly start gaining weight. To avoid this try to incorporate a side salad, fruits, and veggies with every meal. Also, partner carbs with a protein like apples and peanut butter or cheese and crackers because they offer a better balance which will keep your blood sugar even and curb cravings. 

4. Eating out 

This one isn’t only a health tip, but it’s also a money saving tip! Try to avoid hitting up coffee shops and fast food places on campus. Sure you have the freedom to go out when you want now and it can be tempting to go to those quick, easy and cheap places every day, but the cost adds up as much as the calories! Make eating out it a weekend treat to save money and to keep off extra pounds. 

5. Eating late at night 

It’s a Friday night and you just got back from a party! Your friends feel like hitting up the nearby diner for french fries, burgers, and all the greasy, delicious food you can imagine! Try your best to avoid these scenarios frequently. Your metabolism slows down drastically around 8-9pm so the food you’re eating late at night takes much longer to digest, which is also a big contributor to weight gain. 

Of course it’s okay to get your favorite Starbucks drink every now and then, and by all means, go out for a meal with friends, but moderation is key! Now that you’re on your own its important to take care of yourself. Keeping up with your physical health by eating well balanced meals will help you sustain the energy and health you need to make you feel good, look good, and be the best version of you… without needing to buy new jeans!

Allie Nowak

Illinois State '22

Editor-in-chief for Her Campus at Illinois State University.
Contributor account for Illinois State