Homemade Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

“In the real world, Halloween is when kids dress up in costumes and beg for candy. In Girl World, Halloween is the one day a year when a girl can dress up like a total slut and no other girls can say anything else about it.” — Mean Girls

Only one day and counting until the best day of the year arrives! As college students we are all aware that money is tight, and the last thing we want to do this year is to spend money on a costume you will only wear for one night. Mix it up and be creative! Pinterest is your new best friend for DIY costumes, and we all have things at home that can be transformed into a great Halloween costume this year. If you waited until the last minute to find a costume, don’t fret, here are four easy to make at home costumes! 

Use your boyfriends clothes 

Ten bucks says your boyfriend or best guy friend has a million and one old t-shirts he doesn’t wear. Raid his closet. Old sports jerseys are also easy last minute costumes. Throw on a jersey, add face paint, a pair of pants and you are ready to roll. 

High School Uniforms 

Whether you liked looking exactly like everyone else in high school or not, you can definitely use that drab uniform for a costume. Oh, and don’t for get those knee-high socks… definitely will make you or break your school preppy schoolgirl or the typical “sexy secretary” costume. Come on, I know you all have a little bit of the 90s Brittney Spears era in your blood. 

Tutus and Tights 

If you were a dancer like me, your closet is most likely filled with tutus, tool, leotards and tights. Turn those into something wild and different that no one else will have! The options are endless. Tool is your best friend. Cut it up, hot glue it, tie it and let your imagination run wild. The only thing I think of when I hear the word “leotard” is Miley Cyrus at the VMA’s… cut up your old outfits and you’ve got yourself a costume. 

Find it in your dresser

Look for a red and white-stripped shirt with glasses and you are “Waldo”. Or wear a flannel, boots and jeans and call yourself a cowgirl! It’s so easy! 

Plain shirts are also great for Halloween. Sew on decal or a felt logo and you’re good to go. My freshman year of high school I went as an M&M, and all I had to do was find a red T-shirt and sew on a white “M.” The best part is you can take out the stitching and re-wear the shirt! 

So what are you waiting for?! Go run around the house and start making your costume! Pinterest will be your best friend this year! Happy Halloween! 

Alexandria Jenkins

Illinois State

Megan Lawler

Illinois State