Hey Normal, What Do You Say?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

This evening, the Chicago Cubs will be playing the St. Louis Cardinals in game three of the series. So far, it is an even match as the teams are tied one to one. Wrigley is bound to be roaring with excitement considering games one and two both took place in Busch Stadium. For those of us Cubs fans in Normal, this is an extremely exciting time as our team is upon the brink of an unbelievable dream. However, it is saddening that we cannot feel the atmosphere ourselves and take part in all of the action. I would much rather be attending the game and experiencing Wrigleyville after hours instead of completing my IT lab, but sadly I cannot. So for those of you just like me, a devout life-long Cubs fan, here’s to you.

1. Here’s to everyone who has experienced the joy of finally catching the vendor’s attention and getting that Chicago style hot dog thrown to you at your seat.

2. Here’s to everyone who saw Sosa hit home-runs and Wood strike out batters.

3. Here’s to Banks, Sandberg, Rizzo, Bryant, and every man who played with our red, white, and blue logo.

4. Here’s to everyone who takes the 7th inning stretch no matter where you are. In your mind, you’re there. You’re singing Take Me Out To The Ball Game trying to find yourself a box of Cracker Jacks to create ambience of the real thing.

5. Here’s to checking the Cubs’ Twitter account every single second if your cable isn’t working in your dorm, apartment, or house.

6. Here’s to that one time you sat in Wrigley Field when it was pouring rain with a poncho on, eating Dibs ice cream with your best friend, while holding the binoculars on your favorite players (maybe that was just me, but hey, a baseball game in the rain is better than no baseball game at all).

7. Here’s to Back to the Future, where this is a very important year for us.

8. Here’s to being in the post season for the first time since 2008.

9. Here’s to our parents, and their parents, for raising us to believe in the North Side. Thank you for bringing us to Wrigley field and making us believe we could catch a foul ball even when we couldn’t.

10. Here’s to 107 years of fandom that has never died, and will continue to carry on.

Girls, it’s time to put your Victoria’s Secret Pink Cubs collection shirts on, and boys, wear your ball caps. Heck, girls wear ball caps and boys wear the fashionable fan gear too. This is the one and only chance we have to be the best fans we possibly can. So, what do you say Normal? Let’s cheer on our Cubbies to victory.

Katie Sall

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State