This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s the beginning of another school year which means Sorority Formal Recruitment is right around the corner. As of right now, there are a great number of women who are ready to become a part of the Greek community at Illinois State University. However, there is no doubt that there are still some women who have yet to decide if Greek life is the life for them. On our team at Her Campus ISU we have many writers who take pride in being a part of the Greek community here. We all have a common appreciation for our sororities and the way they have changed our lives for the better. We wanted to give you a personal look into how our sororities have helped shape us into the people we are today. With that, we are forever grateful for what ISU Greek life has offered us so far and we genuinely hope everyone gives it a chance. 

“Going Greek was the best decision I made as a freshman. With ISU being only 2 hours away from home, most of my high school classmates ended up here as well. I did not want to fall into the same group of friends with the same habits that existed in high school so I figured rushing would be the best way to make new friends.  I can honestly say the friends I have made through Greek life will be my friends for a lifetime. I truly could not imagine life without them.” – Danielle Farrow

“People come to college with the expectation that these will be some of the best years of your life. Going Greek made that a reality. I can’t even begin to express how much I adore my sisters or the influence and impact they’ve had on my life. The experiences and opportunities I’ve had throughout my time at ISU are irreplaceable and hold such a special place in my heart. I have Greek life to thank for that. You get a chance to be a part of something much bigger than yourself. A common misconception is that Greeks think that they are better regular students. But what most people don’t realize, is that becoming a part of the Greek community doesn’t make you better than anyone, it just makes you better than you used to be. You will always stand out, but you will never stand alone. Going through recruitment, I found my home away from home, and for that I will forever be grateful. I encourage you to give Greek life a chance. Have an open mind. One of my best friends that I met through my sorority graduated last year, and when she was reflecting on her time spent with her sisters, she said, ‘People say when you join a sorority you’re paying for your friends. In my opinion, I haven’t paid enough.’  I couldn’t agree more.” – Katy Winge

“Going away to college can be difficult. Often times, I felt lonely, and like I never really fit in anywhere. I decided to go greek because I wanted to change that. Ever since joining my sorority, I am always busy with my 60+ sisters! I find that I no longer am just sitting in my room with nothing to do, as I always have a strong support system, and group of friends to call at any time.” – Rebecca Davis

“College is all about going off on your own and learning to be an adult. When you go Greek, the experience and benefits entail so much more than you could ever imagined. The entire recruitment process is intimidating but I’m so happy I stood my ground and stuck it out. Being a part of an organization allows me to be surrounded by people within the Greek community who share the same views as I do. With all the people I’ve met, they all add onto my own adventure. There is a place for you within the Greek community, and we welcome all with open arms.” – Raquel Ugalde

“Rushing was one of the best decision I can say I have made in college. Although I was nervous at first, I went through the process and in the end the outcome was amazing. Not only did I meet the most amazing girls in my life, but I was also able to experience things and help people I would have never been able to do without being in a sorority. All of the social and philanthropy events are amazing but the connections I made with the girls is even better. I have been able to network through my sisters and because of that I have received two jobs and two internships. Without rushing I don’t think these opportunities would have come my way and I have never once regretted my decision of going Greek.” – Grace Masching

“Leaving behind my group of friends senior year of high school made me realize I wanted to find that same second family through a sorority. In just two years, I’ve met the girls who lift me higher, the girls who constantly support me, and the girls who care about me unconditionally. Being a Greek at ISU has been a life changing experience that has blessed with me with meeting truly great people and presented me with amazing opportunities. College only happens once, but if you do it with the right people, once is all you need.” – Alyssa Ortiz

“Going Greek was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Freshman year, I knew right away I wanted to be in a sorority. My sorority is where I found my heart. I have so many positive and special memories with all my sisters so far, and I know I will have even more these next couple years. I honestly cannot picture my college experience any other way. One thing I love is all the opportunities we have to participate in philanthropies and charities. They are such a fun way to give back and everyone is so involved. I also love my sorority house. I had the privilege of living in last year, and it was one of the best years of my life. It was a home away from home where I got to live with all my best friends. All I can do is talk so highly of Greek life and all the experiences that come with it. And I am so very thankful I chose this path.” – Hannah Dytrych

“Illinois State University’s Greek Organization has helped me find myself along this incredible journey we call college. It has inspired me, challenged me, and encouraged me in a variety of ways. From finding some of the most genuine friendships, to helping me develop my philanthropic passion, Greek life has opened the doors for opportunity and pushed me through them; forcing me to become the best that I can be. Go Greek!”– Stephanie Pouse 

As you can see, going Greek has impacted us in numerous ways. We encourage you try something new, step out of your comfort zone, and give sorority recruitment a chance. We will leave you with this qoute. “People ask why I am in a sorority and I try to explain all the things a sorority is that we cannot see. A sorority is more than letters on a sweatshirt. More than a gold pin, rituals, an obligation or a way of life. A sorority is learning about people, a sorority is earning respect from others, as well as yourself. A sorority will not solve all your problems. But I have made good friends and found confidence there to help me take life one step at a time.” -Anonymous 

Click the link below if you’re interested in learning more! 

http://isucpc.weebly.com