Ginny Weasley and the Lack of Merchandise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Ginny Weasley is mentioned 771 times in the Harry Potter series, yet she is one of the most forgotten characters. She is part of one of the most famous wizarding families in the Harry Potter world, and she is a fierce and independent woman who is known for her Bat-Bogey Hex and her brain power. So why is it that this amazing character has little to no merchandise?

People who have just watched the movies won’t know the Ginny Weasley that the book readers know. Movie Ginny is someone who is painstakingly embarrassing and flirts with Harry Potter by tying his shoe. Her role in the movies is so small, it’s not surprising she has little to no merchandise.

Most of the items that are Ginny Weasley based are sold by fans and not licensed. If you want something that is licensed, there are only two things you can get. The first is her wand, which is sold online or at the Universal Studio parks. While you are buying Ginny Weasley’s wand, you can also pick up a random Death Eater’s wand, so getting Ginny’s wand isn’t that exclusive.

The other way to get licensed merchandise is to buy a Ginny Weasley Pop Funko doll. In August 2017, wave four of Harry Potter Pop Funko dolls came out, and fans could finally get their hands on a Ginny Weasley doll, but why did it take so long for her to get a doll of her own, while lesser characters, such as Luna Lovegood and the Weasley Twins, got their dolls earlier?

I believe the reason for the lack of Ginny Weasley merchandise is the movies. In the movies, Ginny is reduced to being Harry Potter’s love interest, and that is it. They take the powerful and independent Ginny from the books and water her down so that viewers can focus on Harry Potter and no one else. Since most, if not all, of the merchandise is based on the movies, Ginny is thrown into the background and not thought of. Since they watered her down and gave her a lesser role, fans had a hard time relating to her and wouldn’t buy any of the Ginny merchandise.

It is upsetting to Harry Potter fans that have read the books and know how amazing Ginny Weasley is to not have the ability to get her merchandise. As fans, we have to come to terms that one of the best characters in the Harry Potter book series was turned into nothing but a love interest and find fan-made things to get the best Ginny Weasley merchandise.

Contributor account for Illinois State