This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Spring cleaning is right around the corner and if you know me you know that I love for my surroundings to be tidy. I have comprised a list that will break down what you should be doing to get a jumpstart on your spring cleaning. 

Daily cleaning tasks 

Always start with your bedroom since that is the place you spend most of your time. Get in the habit of making your bed every day because it makes the room look neat. Make sure to pick up your dirty clothes off the floor and the clothes chair – yes, that place you stack all your clothes is actually supposed to be used as a chair. Throw them in the hamper, sorting by colors. 

Moving to the kitchen, try to do the dishes every day. Don’t leave them piled up in the sink because they’ll start to smell and your roommates will be annoyed. Remember to take out the trash when it fills up. Especially, if you’re going home for the weekend and don’t want your place to smell upon your return.

Weekly washing tasks

Designating a laundry day is a great way to stay on track. Wash your clothes one of the days and your bedding on another day. Changing your sheets is super important. It can be a tedious task but nothing beats jumping in a clean bed with the fresh linen scent. 

Speaking of washing, it’s time to move to the bathroom. Make sure to scrub the toilet and wipe down the counters. Bathrooms are often small, so the cleaner they are the bigger the bathroom will feel. I’d recommended mopping the floor, especially by the shower tub and toilet.

The final piece of advice I have is to clean out your hairbrush and wash your makeup brushes. We all know we don’t clean beauty sponges and makeup brushes as often as we should. Try to get in the habit of doing that – your skin will thank you!

Monthly maintenance tasks

After spring cleaning begins and you complete the smaller chores, work on these more time-consuming household tasks. Start by going through your closet and create a giveaway pile. You can swap the clothes with your friends, sell them, or even donate them. If you do this monthly you’ll avoid the daunting “I need to take everything out of my closet” project that inevitably takes days to do. 

As far as in the house, make sure to wipe down kitchen appliances. That could include the oven, microwave, refrigerator and so on. Not only should you wipe down the appliances but consider wiping down windows and door handles.

Be sure to dust the cabinets and shelves. A lot of dust can accumulate on your decorations so be sure to take the time to clean them too. My final suggestion is to vacuum all your carpets and rugs.

Spring cleaning really is a never-ending process. By breaking down the tasks, you’re much more likely to complete the chores and not feel overwhelmed. And if you finish all these suggestions, then it’s time to clean your car, or better yet help your friends.

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!
Contributor account for Illinois State