Galentine’s Day as told by Leslie Knope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Every February that cute little baby with the arrows always makes his rounds making those with someone to celebrate the day of love with very happy. But what about us girls that—although we may have someone special—would like to celebrate our girlfriends during the shortest month of the year, because you know, they’re the best, always there for you, make you laugh, hold your hair after a crazy night out, remind you that you are in fact not the best thing to grace the Earth, etc.  FRET NOT, I HAVE A SOLUTION: GALENTINE’S DAY. To help us see why Galentine’s Day is in fact greater than Valentine’s Day I have recruited Leslie Knope from Parks & Rec. 

Mark your calendars because Galentine’s Day happens every Feb. 13 – just one day before all the cute couples find themselves exchanging gifts and love notes. SO, what would be an alternative for Galentine’s Day you ask? Well, us girls can still appreciate the friendships we have by telling each other the things we may always be thinking but don’t always say. 

Just hanging out with your squad in general is always a good time, but when you come together to celebrate each other the good times don’t end. You all take turns requesting your favorite throwback songs and encourage each other to dance until you realize you need to hit the gym to work on your endurance. 

Like any good celebration Galentine’s Day comes complete with food and drinks, what kind of food and drinks and in what quantities is at your discretion of course. 

Things can get emotional at Galentine’s Day which will only bring you closer to your friends because they will still call you beautiful when you have snot running down your face. 

Though many times it may feel like the world only puts importance on romantic relationships, it is important to remember that the platonic friendships and bonds you create are just as (if not more) important. Sometimes you just need someone to listen to you complain about your significant other or just someone to tell you everything is going to be alright. Celebrate your Galentine’s Day wisely and with the girls you know will always be on your side! 

Contributor account for Illinois State