alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

Fun Summer Activities in Illinois/Wisconsin Area

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Summer is approaching quickly and it’s time for traveling and fun activities with friends! I have a few staple places I like to go to and things I like to do with my friends in the summer. Some are close and some may take a road trip to get there but they are all worth the while, here’s a list of my favorite things!

1. Six Flags

Six Flags is one of my go-to activities in the summer! Located in Gurnee, Illinois, Six Flags (also known as Great America) is an amusement park that has theme parks and water parks combined! I’m not a huge rollercoaster person but I have so much fun going to spend the day there with my friends and family. 

1. Starved Rock and/or Devils Lake

If you like to hike or camp these are two great places to go! Starved Rock State Park is located in Oglesby, Illinois, and is about 2,600 acres. I have been here quite a few times and there are so many different paths to take which differ in the hardness of the trail based on time to complete and rougher terrain. There are also many beautiful waterfalls, which are perfect for a good cool-off after a hike! Devil’s Lake State Park is located in Baraboo Wisconson and is over 9,000 acres, making it the largest state park in Wisconsin. It is known for its quartzite bluffs which are over 500 feet high and very beautiful!

1. Lake Geneva 

Lake Geneva is located in Wisconsin with so many activities to do within it. There are beaches to go and swim and hang out on, along with boat and water accessories (tubes, water skis) to rent. Ziplining and obstacle courses are other recreational activities offered on land! In the town area, there are many places to eat along with places to shop. Lake Geneva also has ice castles which I have never been to but are definitely on my list for this summer! 

1. Chicago Museums

Chicago is home to many museums to visit such as the Children’s Museum, the Museum of Science and Industry, the Field Museum of Natural History and more! There are also several places to see artwork. The Art Institute of Chicago is one that I took many field trips to in high school and I loved it! The Museum of Contemporary Art is also another popular museum to see art. Many of these have days throughout the year called “free days” where admission is free, I would definitely take advantage of that deal!

1. Anderson Japanese Gardens 

Anderson Japanese Gardens is a hidden wonder in Rockford, Illinois. These gardens cover a 12-acre area and are full of streams, waterfalls and even koi ponds! This is a great place to go if you are looking for beautiful scenery for an outdoor hike. Admission is only $9 for students! And, when you are done with your day of hiking you can head over to Fresco at The Gardens for a nice meal.

These are just a few activities in the Illinois and Wisconsin area that are not too costly and perfect for the summer, if you visit any of these I hope you enjoy them!

Take care, 

Olivia Pribyl <3

Olivia Pribyl

Illinois State '24

Hi there! My name is Olivia Pribyl and I am a Sophomore at Illinois State University. I am a Special Education major but also aspire to be a social worker! During my free time I love thrifting, going out for coffee, and just being outside! I'm so excited to be a part of Her Campus to share my thoughts and advice with you guys! Follow my socials: Instagram: @ pribyl.olivia Facebook: @ Olivia Pribyl Tiktok: @ roliepolie.oli