This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

One of my favorite television programs of all time is Friends. The sitcom that first came out in the ‘90s has become a cultural phenomenon, and I know I’m definitely not the only one who holds a special spot in their heart for the series. So, when it got taken off Netflix at the beginning of this year, I was naturally upset. What was I going to watch when I was in a bad mood and needed a laugh? The show has only increased in popularity since it ended in 2004, and fans have continuously voiced theories and sentiments about what the characters’ lives looked like after the series finale. Luckily, HBO Max is finally washing away all suspicions, because in May, all six friends are back for a reunion. 

Jennifer Aniston sent the Internet into a complete frenzy about a week ago when she posted a picture of the original cast and the caption “It’s happening…” The posts kept pouring in, with David Schwimmer, Lisa Kudrow, Courtney Cox, Matthew Perry, and Matt LeBlanc all sharing the same announcement. Since Aniston joined Instagram, fans have been blessed with photos of the actress with other Friends cast members, which lead to lots of speculation over a possible reunion special. And now, after months of hoping, HBO Max is turning that dream into reality. Executive producers Kevin Bright, Marta Kauffman, and David Crane are also making a return to the series, meaning the cast and creators are prepared to pack a big punch. 

In a recent interview with comedian Kevin Nealon, Courtney Cox explained, “So the exciting thing is that we’re all going to get together for the first time, in a room, and actually talk about the show…We’re going to have the best time. It’s going to be great… It’s gonna be fantastic.” The cast being equally as thrilled for the reunion as the fans are makes the idea of viewing all six original cast members again that much more memorable. Although it won’t be a huge continuation of the series, it promises to bring the same sort of eclectic magic to viewers.

Fans of the show as well as critics have been quick to voice their opinions as to what will make the special just as good as the original. For instance, Phoebe’s future is something that fans muse about, as well as if the show has aged poorly in terms of its all white cast and its handling of subjects such as Monica’s obesity. Whatever the case, the reunion will continue to spur up lots of attention, through the buildup to its release as well as its reception following. There have been various comebacks of shows such as Roseanne (which later turned into the successful The Conners on ABC), a short-lived 90210 reunion series, and Netflix’s addition to the world of Gilmore Girls. It’s definitely going to be interesting to see what the cast does with the unscripted special, especially since it’s being filled at Stage 24 on the Warner Bros. Studios lot in Burbank, which is where the original series was shot. 

View this post on Instagram

Here for the friendships. @hbomax

A post shared by Friends (@friends) on

So, I guess it’s time to grab your lobsters and start singing “Smelly Cat”, because could we be more excited?!

Caitlin Eichhorn

Illinois State '23

Caitlin is a senior at Illinois State University studying Public Relations and Spanish. She is a member of Theta Beta chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma and loves being a writer for Her Campus. When she's not studying or writing her novel, she is watching 80s films or hockey highlights.
Contributor account for Illinois State