Four Roommates You Will Have in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

When you’re a college student, one of the biggest lessons you learn is how to share your space with others. Whether you live in a dorm, apartment, or sorority house, you will eventually share your space with someone else (unless you choose to live in a single for all four years…boo). And that can sometimes be a challenge, depending on who you live with! Here are four roommates you will most likely encounter at some point in your college career.

1. The Frenemy 

Sure, things start out fine, but what’s with all the passive aggressive notes and the backstabbing? And more importantly, what did you ever do to her?! This girl will act sweet to your face but secretly talk to everyone else on the floor about how that shirt you wore the other day was dorky and that the book you are reading for class is weird. Yikes! 

2. The Slob

You come back to your room from your afternoon class to find the lights still off, the blinds drawn, the TV cranked up loud, and piles and piles of clothes on the floor. And is that…bread on the ground? You may not be a super clean freak, but your room looks like a bomb went off. And you prefer sunlight, thank you very much. When you first get to college, people come from all over; some might not have shared space with others before or just don’t pick up their stuff. Make a compromise at the beginning of the year to discuss how you like you both like your space and talk about who will clean what and when.

3. The Hypocrite

She has people over to stay the night all the time and never mentions it to you. Yet the second you have someone over, it’s a big issue and it can’t happen again. The floor is messy on her side but you choose not to say anything. The one time you are having a hectic week and there are a few t-shirts thrown on the ground, she brings up how the room needs to be cleaned. This roommate typically only thinks of herself and lacks curtesy. Talk about frustrating!

4. The Best Friend

Sooner or later, we will all live with a best friend. Or a few best friends. And it is the best. Bring on the random coffee runs and trips to the mall! And whenever you’re feeling down, she’s right there for some deep talks. Living with a best friend is like a 24/7 sleepover, and it makes living with the roommates who weren’t so great in the past, totally worth it.

Grace O'Brien

Illinois State

Do whatever you want, and if it's something you're going to regret in the morning, sleep late. 
Celina Porretta

Illinois State