This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

If you’re like me, you binge-watch true crime YouTube videos until you enter a series of never-ending rabbit holes. I’ve been consuming true-crime-related content for YEARS now, and I have four YouTubers I go back to time and time again.

1. Kendall Rae

Kendall Rae is currently sitting at an audience of 3.21 million subscribers. The focus of her videos is centered on the stories of the victims involved and seeking justice for them and their families. I enjoy her videos because of all the detail she provides. She talks about the events before, during, and after the crimes were committed, leaving no detail excluded. Her calm voice and her many furry friends lounging in the background make her the perfect YouTuber to watch to unwind after a long day. Not to mention, she’s created several GoFundMes to raise money for victims AND she covers stories that don’t get enough media coverage (including Jelani Day).

Kendall Rae’s video on Jelani Day

2. Hailey Elizabeth

When I watch Hailey, I feel like I’m hanging out with an older sister. According to her, she covers all things “spooky scary skeletons.” She brings a lighthearted nature to dark topics that surround true crime, cracking jokes at the foolishness a lot of the criminals possess. In her videos, she is usually doing her makeup while diving into conspiracy theories, murder cases, and strange disappearances. This makes watching her equally enjoyable as listening to the stories she’s telling. Her videos are a combination of my two favorite genres of YouTube videos: makeup and true crime.

3. BOZE vs. the World

Boze is like Hailey in that fact that they both tend to use comedy to talk about all things true crime. I’m always waiting for one of Boze’s many expressive reactions to the shocking details of a true crime case. A lot of the true-crime videos I’ve previously seen maintain a super-serious vibe. But this is not the case with Boze. She’s respectful to the victims and their families yet she holds nothing back when it comes to the offenders involved.

4. JCS

JCS focuses on the criminal psychology aspect of true crime. Their videos are clips of a criminal’s interrogation. JCS will comment on the probing tactics the police officers use to get information out of the offender. Then, JCS will point out the body language, such as excessive fidgeting, that gave away the criminal’s guilt. Basically, the WHOLE interrogation process is broken down bit by bit and explained to the viewer. I found this video style interesting, because many times, we don’t hear about/see the criminal after they are caught. I always feel like I learn something new after watching their videos. JCS’s most popular video, What pretending to be crazy looks like, has reached a whopping 61 million views! This number seems to keep growing, so I think they are worth the watch.

Hopefully, these creators can help with your ongoing true crime kick. I think they are a good mix of serious, comical, and educational. I’ve watched plenty of true crime videos and documentaries, but the creators I listed are by far my favorite (admittedly, I’ve consumed all their content). Pop some popcorn, wear your favorite PJs, and add these YouTubers to your watch list!

Isabel Crabtree

Illinois State '25

Hello everyone! I am a marketing student at Illinois State University. I love all things music, true crime, and self-improvement. I write to inspire and share what I've learned. Thank you for reading!