Four Books Every College Girl Should Read (From Someone Who Hates Reading)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Let me preface this article by saying that I am NOT an avid reader. I rarely find books that capture my attention span for more than a day, and I have never been one to enjoy “snuggling up with a good book.” However, this summer was not typical in the slightest and left me with (too) much free time than I could imagine. These are four books I read over the summer that I actually enjoyed, and highly recommend. 

1. In Five Years- Rebecca Sterle 

This has easily become one of my all-time favorite books! It’s very fast-paced and I quickly became attached to the characters which made it a very quick read. Once I started it I could not put it down. The story takes place in New York City and follows a girl in her mid-twenties who believes she has her life planned out down to the minute of each day. The book, of course, shows that life does not always go as planned, and is a great reminder that sometimes the least expected changes are for the best when it comes to relationships, work, and what you expect for your future. It is also a great reminder to not force things that aren’t meant for you. 

in five years rebecca serle
Original photo by Allie Nowak

1. Calm The F*ck Down- Sarah Knight & Sasha O’Hara

This very witty and relatable self-help book was much needed at the beginning of quarantine when the world was going to shambles and I wasn’t really sure what to think of it. I wish I read this much earlier into college though as it gives you different ways to approach anxious thoughts that arise, how to pick your battles,  how to accept the things you cannot control, and if all else fails..just tell yourself to calm the fu*k down! There are thousands of books on managing anxiety, this one in particular though has a very light and humorous writing style that makes it much more relatable to a younger audience. 

1. Why Men Love B*tchs- Sherry Argov

The title of this book can be deceiving, and should be taken with a grain of salt! The author uses the term bitch in this book as a strong, independent woman who goes after what she wants and is not a doormat for men. I didn’t completely agree with every aspect of this book, however, it does offer up really empowering advice on dating, self-confidence, worth, and that you should be setting the bar high when it comes to your expectations!

Sherry Argov\'s Why Men Love Bitches
Original photo by Allie Nowak

1. Act Like A Lady- Keltie Knight & Becca Tobin & Jac Vanek

The hosts of the podcast “Lady Gang” came together to write this extremely funny and relatable book on struggles all of us girls deal with but never seem to talk about. From dating, work, friendships, mental health, physical health, this book gets into the very gritty details of being a woman in the twenty-first century. This book is a great reminder that even the most perfect, well put together looking women on social media don’t always have their life together- and that’s okay! 

Act Like a Lady: Questionable Advice, Ridiculous Opinions, and Humiliating Tales from Three Undignified Women
Original photo by Allie Nowak

These books helped pass the time during this rather disappointing summer, and I would recommend them to any college-aged girl who needs some good advice, a good laugh, or just a good read.

Allie Nowak

Illinois State '22

Editor-in-chief for Her Campus at Illinois State University.
Contributor account for Illinois State