Food Blog: Cream Cheese Chocolate Cupcakes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

These are the perfect cupcakes for anyone who doesn’t like frosting. Combining cheesecake and chocolate cakes has us asking ourselves, what’s not to love? They are a bit time consuming, but the end result is definitely worth it!

Filling:
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/3 c. sugar
1 egg
1/8 tsp. salt
1 c. chocolate chips

Cupcakes:
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. baking cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. water
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 Tbs. white vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla

In a bowl, beat cream cheese. Add sugar, egg, salt. Mix well. Fold in chocolate chips and set aside. For cupcakes, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Mix together. Fill paper-lined cupcake tins half full with batter. Top each with 1 tbsp. of cream cheese mixture. Bake at 350º for 25-30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan.

These cupcakes can be a little tricky when you are testing the doneness. Usually when seeing if a cake is ready, I put a toothpick in the center and if the toothpick comes out clean, then the cupcakes are done. When you stick a toothpick into these cupcakes, you’ll just end up with the cream cheese mixture on the toothpick. You can see from the picture that the cream cheese part of the cupcake was a little brown. I had them in the oven for 30 minutes and that was a bit too long, so I’d start off with 25.