This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As college girls, many of us probably haven’t experienced flying alone on an airplane. But at some point in our lives we most likely will have to face this responsibility on our own. I personally just had my first experience flying alone over winter break and it wasn’t as bad as I imagined. So for all my fellow soon-to-be solo flyers out there I am here to tell you you’ll be okay. Of course there will always be a little bit of fear but don’t knock it until you try it.

1.  There are signs everywhere:  If you’ve ever even stepped foot inside of an airport, you know it is full of different signs. In previous flights, there’s a chance you probably let your parents or others who’re close to you figure everything out, and you most likely didn’t pay attention to the hundreds of signs. So when you find yourself alone in the airport looking for gate L5 and you’re by L25, the signs become your best friends. While acquainting yourself with your newest BFF’s you find that they aren’t very hard to understand. In a matter of no time you’ll be sitting at your gate with some coffee from the nearby Starbucks waiting to board.

2.  You’ll mostly be waiting in long lines: You wait in line to print your boarding pass, check your bags (if you don’t want any carry-ons), and to go through security. If we’re being honest you’ll probably also wait in line to get some food or Starbs, and after you’ll get in another line to board the plane. Throughout this process you’ll have to present your ID, take off your shoes, hand over your boarding pass, etc. All easy steps that you have probably done before.

3.  People can’t tell it’s your first time: As long as you aren’t running through the airport screaming for your mom, no one can tell. Sure you might be quiet and a little awkward, but that could just be because you have no one to talk to. People won’t know that you have never flown alone and if they do they probably don’t care.

4.  Boarding is simple: Waiting to board by yourself may be nerve-racking the first time. However, you can preoccupy yourself with wondering whether your 14C seat is a window or an aisle seat. When they begin boarding the plane all you have to do is wait for your group number to be called. After that, it’s as simple as making your way up, getting in line, and boarding the plane. Once you’re on, finding your seat and putting your carry-on luggage up is as hard as it gets.

5.  If you bring entertainment, the hours will fly by (no pun intended): Bringing your laptop, tablet, phone, or a good book to read is flying rule #1. While some airplanes have Wi-Fi, others may not. So if you find yourself in a #NoWifiZone, don’t fret, because you came prepared. With your favorite book downloaded on your phone or a playlist of your favorite songs, you will spend the entirety of your flight enjoying your favorite things. Some planes also show movies or even have radio stations you can listen to simply by plugging your headphones into your arm rest. Even taking a nice nap will make your flight seem just a little shorter.

Contributor account for Illinois State