Life > Experiences

Five Desserts to Make and Bake this Fall Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Fall is the perfect time to bake some great desserts and snuggle up to watch a spooky Halloween movie with your besties. If you’ve ever felt intimidated by baking, try out these simple recipes I found on Pinterest. Some require more work than others, but once you start you’ll find your own baking rhythm, especially if you get a little help from your friends. Here are some of my favorite finds for fall desserts!

1. Snickerdoodle Blondies

This is my all-time favorite treat to make and it is so easy! I found this recipe on Pinterest and it is one of my best finds yet. These snickerdoodle blondies are made up of ingredients you may already have in your kitchen. This should only take a total of 35-40 minutes to prep and bake.

• 1 cup unsalted butter softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

After preheating your oven to 350°F, mix together the butter and sugars in a large bowl. Then, add the eggs and vanilla extract and continue with adding the dry ingredients. Mix all the ingredients in the large bowl until it is smooth, then evenly spread the mixture onto a greased baking pan. Sprinkle evenly with more cinnamon and sugar before baking in the oven. Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes and let cool before slicing a piece for yourself.

2. Banana Bread

Everyone loves a good slice of banana bread and this recipe is perfect if you have never made it before. Using these 11 basic ingredients, most of which you could already have, you can make this banana bread in just over an hour.

• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cups banana
  • 6 tbsp salted butter
  • 1 pinch cinnamon
  • 1 pinch nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup walnuts

First, preheat your oven to 350°F. In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients together. Then in a different bowl, mix together the wet ingredients. Combine both mixtures in the large mixing bowl slowly, stirring throughout. Pour the combined mixture into a greased bread pan and bake in the oven for about 50 minutes. To check if the bread is done, stick a toothpick in the center, take it out and inspect if it is clean. This means it is all done and just let it cool before taking a slice.

3. Cinnamon Cheesecakes

These cinnamon cheesecakes are such a cute and unique dessert to try! These no-bake desserts mix two of my favorite things: cinnamon and cheesecake. This isn’t like a regular brownie or cookie dessert, this is something much more elevated and doesn’t take much work to make right at home.

Crust:

• 1 1/2 cups digestive biscuits (or Biscoff!)
  • 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted

Cheesecake:

• 1 cup double cream, cold
  • 3 cups cream cheese
  • 1 cup icing sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

Topping:

• 2 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

Icing

• 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup icing sugar

Check out this link for the instructions!

4. Apple Cinnamon Muffins

There is something about the smell of apples and cinnamon that just feels like the fall time. I love apples and cinnamon together and I think this recipe is something all can enjoy during this season. These apple cinnamon muffins are made up of simple ingredients and are perfect for breakfast and dessert.

• 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 large apple

Topping:

• 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp butter, softened
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

First, preheat the oven to 400°F. Mix together the dry ingredients in a regular mixing bowl. Next, add the wet ingredients and stir together. Add in the chopped apples and mix well. Then add the batter to a greased muffin tin. Before putting them in the oven, prepare the topping mixture and sprinkle the topping on the muffin mixture in the tin. Finally, bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.

5. Pumpkin Coffee Cake Muffins

What is fall without a sweet pumpkin treat? If you LOVE pumpkin spice, you’ll love these pumpkin coffee cake muffins. This takes only 20 minutes to bake and is perfect to try with friends and family.

Muffins:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2 tsp pumpkin spice
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 15 oz. pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie mix)
  • 3/4 cup flavorless oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs

Streusel:

• 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin spice
  • 6 tbsp. melted butter

Glaze:

• 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tbsp. milk

Check out this video for instructions on how to make them!

These are just a few great desserts to try to celebrate the Fall season! Warm treats with apple, cinnamon and of course pumpkin spice are the perfect flavors to give you the fall feel. Try these recipes out with friends! Thank you so much for reading!

Kailyn Coleman

Illinois State '23

Hey guys! I am a Senior at Illinois State studying to become a Speech Language Pathologist! I love to meet new people, travel, and visit local small businesses :)