Fall Fashion 2.0

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Upon the start of my sophomore year, I have come back to campus with an outlook a little more seasoned than what it was at the start of my freshman year. Along with this seasoned outlook on campus life comes a new outlook on campus fashion, and what better way to showcase that then a follow-up guide to the latest fall fashion trends? Below I have compiled a list of the trends I have seen come to life during the first few weeks back on campus. Fall is right around the corner, so be sure to update your wardrobe with these key transitional pieces so you can rock your style even when the days begin to get shorter and colder!

1. Zip-Ups

While back-to-school shopping, I couldn’t help but notice that stores were no longer covered in Aztec print cardigans and knit sweaters. Instead, stores were covered with everyone’s favorite, go-to zip-ups. Unlike the unfortunate zip-ups worn back in middle school, these zip-ups have a fresh new look that don’t include a brand name splattered across the front (sorry, Aeropostale and Hollister!) Get one in your favorite fall color (I got one in heather gray!) and be sure to pair it with anything and everything! Layered over dresses, tanks or crop tops, this new fall trend is sure to keep you cozy while giving you a chic look all at the same time!

2. Tattoo Chokers

Between Ariana Grande and Miley Cyrus, the tattoo choker has reappeared in our day-to-day fashion lives! The original black (and rainbow) tattoo choker has made its infamous comeback, but this time alongside many variations such as sunflowers, rhinestones and leather cords with charms. No matter what your style, tattoo chokers are a perfect fit for fall fashion updates. You can wear the choker alone as a statement piece (like Ari!) or you can try pairing it with multiple layered necklaces (like Miley!) to add some more detail to your OOTD!

3. Mustard

Although many shy away from its yellow base color, mustard seems to be the must-have color for fall! On the first day of school, I saw this color on tanks, pants, purses and hats, all paired with a variety of outfits that proved the color’s versatility within different wardrobes. Did I mention it also complements a glowing summer tan?! #winning

4. Gold Jewelry

Always a staple, gold jewelry has returned for fall; however, this season it’s all about the details. For class and lunch dates, try layering small gold necklaces and thin sparkly bangles to add a little “oomph” to an otherwise #basic outfit. To change up your look for night, get inspired by hip-hop artists like 2-Chainz (get it?!) by wearing your own short, chunky gold chain layered with a longer glitzy one! With these key details, you will be the shining gold star in any situation!

5. Athletic Wear

Along with the release of Shay Mitchell’s new clothing line, “Fit to Wander” (sold at Kohls!), day-to-day athletic wear is definitely in this fall! Also, who wouldn’t want to follow in the footsteps of one of the very fashion forward cast members of Pretty Little Liars (they don’t call her Slay Mitchell for nothing!)? I’ve seen this look all over campus, ranging from bold and patterned leggings to colorful athletic shorts with matching gym shoes. With the release of clothing lines like Mitchell’s, athletic wear is slowly becoming the cute yet comfy look for classes on campus. Be sure to invest in some of these pieces, because when the seasons change these pieces can always be used for when you actually make it to the gym!

Chloe Kasper

Illinois State

Raquel Ugalde

Illinois State

Public Relations major at Illinois State University. Chapter Correspondent for Her Campus Illinois State University.