Face masks to die for

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Face masks are a great way to make any girl feel fresh and reguvinated! Whether you’re a do-it-yourself kind of girl, or someone who would rather spend a few bucks, there are many options out there that will work for you and your skin type.

Pre-made & ready to purchase:

Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask
This cleanser/mask is great for clearing up your face. This dermatologist-tested formula has the acne-fighting power of Benzoyl Peroxide to kill bacteria and treat existing breakouts. It has a retail price of $6.99 and has been rated 4.7 stars out of 5.

Alba Botanica Hawaiian Facial Mask Papaya Enzyme
This face mask is great for ALL skin types and is also hypo-allergenic. Green papaya enzymes gently loosen and dissolve dull surface cells and impurities, helping to improve texture and radiance for a healthy, vibrant complexion. Another thing that users love about it is that it is made from 100% vegetarian ingredients and there is no animal testing involved in the making. Its retail price is $13.99.

Boots Botanics Conditioning Clay Mask

This clay face mask is also great for ALL skin types! It provides deep hydration for your skin, and prevents irritation to keep you comfortable as the mask purifies and clarifies your skin.Its price is $9.39 on Target.com.

Olay Regenerist Thermal Mini-Peel
Don’t let the horror stories or myths scare you! This face peel will not leave your face red or irritated! The self-heating formula warms skin to relax pores then deeply hydrates for beautifully moisturized skin. The exfoliating glycolic acid and micro-crystal complex also gently polish skin for a glowing surface. This face mask can also be purchased at Target.com but for a higher price of $20.39.

DYI (Do-It-Yourself):

1.      If you’re looking for something cheap and EXTREMELY easy then you’ll love this homemade facemask. Only two ingredients are needed: Yogurt (preferably Greek yogurt) and warm/runny honey. Combine 1 tbsp of room temperature yogurt and 1 tsp of runny honey. Apply to your face and let it sit for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes wash off mask with a steaming wash cloth. For dry skin use an extra tsp of honey, for oily skin add a few drops of fresh lime juice.

2.      If you have dry skin you will LOVE this next face mask. All you will need is ½ of an avocado and ¼ cup of honey. Because avocado and honey are particularly moisturizing, this face mask if perfect for women with mature, dry skin. Mash the avocado in a bowl and then stir in honey. Apply to skin and let sit for 10 minutes. Rinse face with a cool wash cloth and you’re all set!

3.      For those of you who have a sweet tooth, you’ll definitely want to try out this brown sugar face mask. Not only does brown sugar smell delicious, but it is a natural exfoliate that works for all skin types! All you need to do is put 1 tbsp of brown sugar in your hand and add 1 tsp of olive oil or extra virgin coconut oil. Stir in your palm with your fingers to create a paste. Massage into skin in a circular motion then rinse off with warm water. Follow up with a moisturizer.

4.      If you are someone who suffers from acne and breakouts, you should try this aspirin based face mask. Depending on how much of your face you plan to cover, you will use between 1 to 3 aspirin. In a bowl, crush the aspirin into small pieces. Add a few drops of water to create a paste. Add warm/runny honey and a little bit of oil (almond, olive, or coconut). Stir well. Apply as a mask or spot treat pimples. Allow the mask to dry, then wash off after 10 minutes.

Hopefully between these 8 options, you will find a face mask that works best for you! For more DIY face masks visit: http://beauty.about.com/od/skinflaws/a/facemasks.htm
For more pre-made face masks visit Target.com. They have a variety of brands at very low costs.

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.