The Evolution of Tinder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

“Don’t Be Jealous That I’ve Been Online Chatting With Babes All Day”

No fear, fellow single ladies and gents! Just when you thought the dating world could not get any more disturbing, Apple has so generously offered us a new approach: Tinder. This application aims to target the collegiate scene by matching students with those in the area.  Before I really dig into this, I will explain exactly how this app works.  You begin by answering the standard location, gender, and sexual orientation questions.  Of course, Facebook is connected so access to your profile pictures is granted to your potential suitors. After gathering the locals, you swipe through pictures and hit a green heart if you’re interested or a red “x” if you’re not (How romantic.) If you and a person both “heart” each other, you’re paired up and make way into a private chat room for conversation. (Can you feel the love tonight?)

Okay. Let me just say that this has got to be one of the creepiest ways of getting to know a person.  I understand we live in a generation where standard dating routines aren’t really a thing anymore, but the evolution of the iWorld that we are a part of is not helping to break these bad habits. If you really want to match yourself with someone you have a connection with, you should probably start by getting off of your phone. I mean come on, how accurate can this thing be with pairing? I can tell you off the bat my roommates jokingly downloaded it and ended up getting matched with our fellow roommate’s ex-fiancé (ain’t nobody got time for that).  This app is anything but serious in my eyes. Tinder merely seems like the sketchier version of Match.com for 20-somethings. 

We’re too young to be at the point in our lives where we feel the need to use a dating app.    Flings, relationships, and hook-ups will come and go—no need to get all Taylor Swift-like  Your person will come along when the timing’s right so don’t fret if you aren’t coupled up and most importantly don’t sell yourself short for one of these winners…