This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

“We were in touch with her the night before and she sounded happy. There was no indication and no warning that she would do this.”-Andy Spade on Kate Spade’s Death: ‘There was no Indication and No Warning’ by Vanessa Friedman, 2018

“He had everything. Success beyond his wildest dreams. Money beyond his wildest dreams,” she said. “He is absolutely the last person in the world I would have ever dreamed would do something like this.” –Inside Anthony Bourdain’s Final Days Before His Death my Corinne Heller, 2018

“Janiak got the impression Avicii was entering a new, productive phase. “You could tell he had spent a long time figuring out the puzzle, and he was trying to take charge of his life,” Janiak says. “He seemed pumped. That’s the shocking thing. He didn’t seem like a guy at the end of his days.” –Inside Avicii’s Final Days by David Browne, 2018

The thing about pain and struggle is you can never see it in someone. All three deaths were a tragedy and very heart breaking, but it shouldn’t have to take 3 famous people’s death to start talking more about suicide and bringing awareness to it. It’s happening, and we need to stop denying it. What all three quotes above have in common is that their loved ones didn’t see it coming. They never would have thought that they would have taken their own life. Even the people who seem like they have it all together and are living their best life can be struggling. We need to end the stigma NOW.

Stop associating suicidal people with being depressed or sad all the time.

Stop saying suicide is selfish.

Stop thinking suicide is some kind of joke.

Suicide rates have increased in almost all 50 states, and went up by 30% in half of them in the past few decades. There are many factors contributing to this, and we need to talk more about it and be a helping hand to people who are struggling. We can start by checking in on family members, friends, colleagues, the kid sitting next to you in class, etc. We can’t understand other people’s minds, but we can help end this stigma by talking more about mental illnesses and suicide. We can be strong enough for ourselves to seek help when we need it. We can be there for a loved one who is struggling so they don’t feel alone. Most importantly, we can spread the word by posting the suicide hotline on social media and we can inspire others to get help by sharing our stories so they don’t feel so alone with how they feel.

Suicide is a topic that is so hard to talk about, and always will be. September is suicide prevention month, so I urge you to reach out to your loved ones and check in on them, no matter how happy you think they are with their lives. If you ever have suicidal thoughts, do not be afraid to reach out and talk to someone, whether that be a family member or a professional therapist. You can also call the hot line at 18002738255. I want you to remember that you are loved, you are enough, you are strong, you are worthwhile, and you are not alone. Always remember that asking for help when you need it is not weak, it is bravery.

Contributor account for Illinois State