This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Halloween is coming up and I couldn’t be more excited. When it comes to Halloween, especially in college, I know I want to keep my costumes inexpensive and easy to create. Here are a few ideas on what you could dress up as this year.

Alien

I feel like this has been a popular costume lately, but it is super easy and cute to create. All you need is some kind of iridescent clothing whether it’s a tank and skirt, dress, or shirt and pants. Another thing I’d pair with this costume would be a cute alien-looking headband. The perfect touches on this costume could be some face glitter and space buns!

Scarecrow

A scarecrow is also something that is festive and easy and could be the perfect Halloween costume for you. For the best look, some kind of overalls would be perfect whether you own a pair, could borrow a pair, or could thrift a pair. The overalls along with a cute fall flannel and boots is really all you need for this costume. Add some face touches like a scarecrow looking mouth and you’re good to go.

Lifeguard

This costume is extremely low maintenance. If you have a lifeguard swimsuit or a red/white swimsuit you could definitely wear that but if not, a red or white tank top with a printed “Lifeguard” label looks just as good. Pair it with some flip flops, a whistle, and some white face paint on your nose to mimic sunscreen and this costume is so cute and easy to put together.

80’s Workout

The 80’s have been back in style lately and an 80’s workout costume would be the perfect Halloween costume for this year. While you may not have the items in your closet, it would be easy to thrift these things or find them for cheap somewhere. All you need is some brightly colored leggings, a unitard, and some leg warmers. Top your hair off with a scrunchie and you’ll steal the show.

Boxer

This costume is super easy, and most girls have these items in their closet already. All that’s needed for this costume is a sports bra, some spandex, and a robe. If you want to go all out, you could also add boxing gloves if you have some and some purple bruise-like makeup. This cute yet simple outfit is the perfect DIY costume.

Witch

A classic and timeless costume. All you really need to dress up as a witch is a black dress and of course, a pointy witch’s hat. Spice it up with some dark lipstick and gloves and you’ll have the most spooky, cute, and easy costume this year.

BONUS COSTUME: Joe Exotic

Personally, when I do Halloween I like to go all out. For all my “bruh” girls out there according to TikTok, I have one more fun and interesting costume that will most definitely steal the show no matter where you go.

A classic part of everyone’s quarantine this year, Joe Exotic was featured in the Netflix hit “Tiger King.” This costume is great because everyone will recognize you and the costume is pretty easy to construct. For Joe Exotic, you’ll need an open, flashy shirt that can easily be thrifted, a drawn-on mustache, and a sharp pair of sunglasses. Optional accessories for this costume include some sort of stuffed tiger and potentially a wig if you want to go full out.

I’m looking forward to Halloween this year and am always looking for costume ideas whenever I can find them. I hope some of these suggestions are helpful and or inspiring. Have a fun and safe Halloween this year!

Millie Dean

Illinois State '23

HI! My name is Millie and I love writing for Her Campus! I'm a senior at Illinois State University studying Public Relations and minoring in Graphic Design. My other interests include art, embroidery, thrifting, and photography. I love to be able to be creative in my interests and in my articles on Her Campus. Follow me on Instagram! @milliedean5
Contributor account for Illinois State