This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

In order to feel put together for my day I LOVE having my nails done. With that being said as a college student I don’t have the ability to afford to get my nails done every three weeks. There is a cheaper solution that doesn’t include buying the ready to go fake nails at the store or spending a small fortune at the nail salon. Keep reading to find out how to achieve Pinterest worthy nails on a budget.

Preparation

To start off you will need to purchase a few items. I bought all of these from Amazon but feel free to search around and find the best priced option. Buy fake nail tips, which range in a variety of sizes and shapes. My suggestion is to decide what nail shape you typically would get at the salon and purchase the style that matches that (for reference I would ask for my nails to be filed in a square shape so I bought the coffin shape, a 500-piece count).

The next item you may want is an artificial acrylic nails clipper cutter. There are some online from the brand Dr. Nail for just under five dollars! If you plan on changing the nail shape or would like to trim down the length, I would highly recommend this product (if you do plan on cutting or shaping your nails a certain way make sure to pick up a nail file as well if you don’t already have one).

Finally, you will need something to adhere the fake nail to your nail bed. I use Kiss Maximum Speed Nail Glue and I would recommend buying from this brand. The best part is all of these items combined cost under twenty-five dollars, which is equivalent to the lower end pricing for an acrylic set at a nail salon.

Application

Although this application step may seem simple there are a few key points that will make all of the difference for how long your manicure will last. To begin take nail polish remover and make sure your nail beds are completely bare. There should not be any polish residue on your nails from your last manicure. Once this step is complete, go through the nail tips and figure out what size fits best for each nail. For example, the nails will either be in plastic little bags numbered or in a box kit numbered. The numbers correspond to the sizing so you should be able to find ones that fit each nail.

Lay them out in order on the table. Take one of the nail tips and put a small dot of glue by the base. A little goes a long way with this. Wait a few seconds for the glue to adhere to the nail tip. Press the tip down onto your natural nail, holding the pressure there for fifteen to thirty seconds. Once that is complete repeat the process for all the remaining nails (Tip: Apply them to the dominant hand first so you will have more control when doing the other hand). After the nails are applied, trim them down using the clipper cutters or a nail file if you desire.

Polish

The final step is to pick the perfect color. I tend to paint my nails based on the season. Since it is fall I would choose a burgundy or deep-toned color. Feel free to get creative with this step or even have a friend help you paint a cool design to make an accent nail. Don’t forget to use a top coat!

If you need more clarification (or inspiration) try searching “DIY nails” on YouTube for a more in-depth explanation and a visual tutorial. They look amazing when done properly and are perfect for when you need to save some money.

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!
Contributor account for Illinois State