photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

This is Dedicated to Those Who Already Broke Their New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

2019 has finally arrived and we’re leaving all the drama, baggage, and Tide pod challenges in 2018! Every year I am so eager to sit down and compile a list of bad habits to break, goals to reach and places to travel.The problem is that while I’m throwing together my list of #NewYearNewMe ideas, I already know I’m not going to do half this crap. I’m not going to wake up extra early to slice lemons to put in my water. I won’t listen to an educational audiobook instead of my extremely lit Mamma Mia 2 playlist. I’m most definitely not going to get 8 hours of sleep each night. So why set the bar so high and then feel awful two weeks later when it’s 3am and I’m watching The Bachelor while eating a bag of candy? I’ve decided enough of this nonsense!  Here’s a list of four practical ways to make new year’s resolutions and ACTUALLY stick to them! 

1. Set Monthly Goals 

The problem with making New Year’s resolutions is that you have to stick with it 24/7/365. If you think you can do it, then you go girl (or guy). I like to give myself a new goal for each month. This gives me something new and exciting to look forward to and it takes a lot of pressure off reaching goals. Below is a picture of 12 small, but impactful resolutions I’ve set for myself each month this year! 

2. Enough With The “Stop, Lose, and Won’t” Talk

Making resolutions that require you to lose or stop something are so negative! It’s more beneficial to think of your goal in a positive manner. Instead of, “I’m going to lose weight” try, “I’m going to add a fun and new workout to my routine each week.” How your goal is worded can make all the difference in shifting your mindset to a positive approach. 

3. Keep It Real! 

Set your goals high, but make sure they’re actually reachable. Just because it’s a new year does not mean you need to have a complete make over. Sometimes the smallest adjustments can really  improve your life. Drink more water. Wash your sheets more than once every six months. Save up for an awesome weekend getaway. My best friend’s resolution this year is to floss more. Yep, just floss more. When she told me her goal, I thought “What an insignificant goal.” But hey, if simple dental changes is what you hope to gain in the new year it can be easily reached and make you feel so much better. Celebrate every victory big and small! 

4. Set Enjoyable Goals! 

If you hate salads, well then don’t set a goal that you’re going to eat a salad every day with your lunch! You think that just because it’s a new year you’re magically going to start loving salads and be meal prepping some fancy avocado combo deal every day? Instead, make it a goal to find healthy food alternative that you love to eat!

I have to admit, I go back and forth as to whether or not I love the New Year. It’s a chance for fresh beginnings, and setting goals to make yourself a better version of you. At the same time, it’s just a number changing on the calendar and not some monumental reason to change every aspect of your life. 

We can set goals or change our lives for the better at any time. Why wait for a whole year to go by before you start? So, if you didn’t make resolutions this year, that’s okay. If you did, that’s okay too! As long as you’re ringing in the New Year with happiness, laughter, and love (and maybe that includes watching The Bachelor at 3am with a bag of candy) you do you – and make 2019 your year!

Allie Nowak

Illinois State '22

Editor-in-chief for Her Campus at Illinois State University.
Contributor account for Illinois State