Common Yet Underrated Female Struggles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

We are all well aware of the basic everyday struggles of being a lady: the losing of countless bobby pins, ponytails, and hair locks when washing your hair (RIP), the sad moment of taking your last sip of that skinny vanilla latte from Starbucks, even the urge to spend all of your money online shopping. Although these are all valid struggles, there are plenty of other undervalued struggles us ladies have to deal with that everyone should know about.

If you’re a female, you can most likely relate to the following hardships:

1.    Running out of coffee.

2.    Chipped nail polish.

3.    Looking pale next to your friend who has a tanning package, which you don’t want to invest in because how else are you going to afford your iced coffees and alcohol? (For you ladies over 21)

4.    Running out of mascara.

5.    Untangling your jewelry.

6.    Changing at least 14 times before finally getting the perfect outfit to go out in.

7.    Scuffing up your Steve Maddens.

8.    Messing up your liquid eyeliner.

9.    The constant fear of remembering whether you forgot to turn off your straightener or not.

10.  Waking up with hair that is neither straight nor curly.

11.  Having to deal with all the hair that gets stuck in your shower drain.

12.  Having 20% battery left on your phone, and it’s only 2:30 in the afternoon.

13.  Realizing that your legs haven’t been shaved in two weeks… after you’ve already arrived at the gym wearing cropped workout pants.

14.  Trying to think of a better selfie face to make other than smiling or duck face for Instagram.

15.  Painting your nails using your left hand (or your right hand for you lefty’s).

16.  The constant debate of whether you should change up your hair.

17.  Having to get approval from at least 10 different friends on whether you should change up your hair.

18.  Not having anything better to do than switching back from Facebook to Twitter to Instagram (repeat).

19.  The disgusting, mysterious hairballs that somehow latch on to your clothes in the dryer.

20.  Never having long enough hair.

21.  Trying to get your eye shadow to look even on both eyes.

22.  Needing multiple shades of foundation because your complexion ranges from sun-kissed to Casper throughout the year.

23.  Always breaking out right before an important event.

24.  Creeping on someone’s Pinterest who doesn’t have their boards organized.

25.  Accidentally Snapchatting the wrong person.

26.  Those little mascara marks you get on your eyelids after applying mascara.

27.  Your hair sticking to your face because of static electricity.

28.  Wearing lip gloss on windy days.

29.  Wanting “Thinking Out Loud” for the song you and your future husband dance to at your wedding, but getting annoyed because so do all the other single ladies in the entire nation.

30.  Coming home from a night out and looking in the mirror.

31.  The tragic moment when you’ve watched the last episode of your favorite series on Netflix.

32.  Trying to find a new Netflix series to watch.

33.  FOMO.

34.  Having to brush your hair after showering.

35.  Showering.

Whitney Scasny

Illinois State

Public Relations major at Illinois State University
Contributor account for Illinois State