business logo
business logo
Photo by sidney donlea
Style

College Student Starts Own Clothing Line

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

While most college students juggle school work and jobs, one ISU junior is doing so while launching her self-made clothing line. 

Sidney Donlea is 20 years old and from Barrington Illinois. She is an older sister of two and grew up in an arts appreciating family. Donlea’s mother is a musician, and raised Donlea to be artistic. 

At ISU Donlea is majoring in social work, however due to COVID-19 concerts she is taking a semester off. This has allowed her time to work on other projects; an ethical clothing line. 

SELLA is a handmade clothing brand designed by Donlea, it was crafted with the intention of creating a space that fights back against the environmental and ethical impact of the fashion industry. The goal is to only create ethically sourced pieces in order to invest in a better future for our planet. Therefore, SELLA apparel is made from second hand and thrifted fabrics, because of this most pieces are one of a kind. This aims to decrease the textile waste as well as recycle unwanted household fabrics. 

Donlea didn’t intend on starting her own store, but this is not the first time she’s made clothes. She received her first sewing machine in first grade, and grew up watching Project Runway. Most of the clothing made was for herself or her friends but never intended to be sold publicly. 

Her collection includes print shirts, velvet fabrics, shorts, pants, and even matching sets. In addition to apparel, she makes accessories like headbands, scrunchies and even masks. 

SELLA’s collection can be found on instagram @sellamade. It is rapidly growing and includes a vivid array of colors and patterns. 

girl modeling dress
Photo by Sidney Donlea

I had the opportunity to meet Donlea at her apartment, and was truly in awe. As you walked in, you could tell this was home to an artist. The walls were covered in painting and drawings, and sketchbooks laid on every table and couch in sight. On one wall a large fabric hung down and a flashlight was pointed at it; a photo backdrop. Donlea showed me some clothing pieces and I even got to watch as her friend modeled them on for pictures. What really caught my eye was the adorable label, “made by a rly cool girl”. 

It is evident that Donlea has put hard work into such a meaningful cause. It is inspiring to see what people can do during the hard times we are facing. 

Hala Abdelrazek

Illinois State '24

Hello everyone! I am a current Junior at ISU. Things I enjoy would include: baking, reading, crafting, and watching tiktoks; halaabdelrazek8. I hope to graduate and work as a Secondary Mathematics teacher. However, due to my love for journalism as well, I am eager to write for HerCampus and be part of this community:) 
Contributor account for Illinois State