This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Chrissy Teigen is known for her modeling, appearances on a wide variety of television shows, successful cookbooks, and is the wife of famous pop singer, John Legend. Today she is commonly known for her lively presence on Twitter, where she shares everything from her adorable family, delicious meal ideas, transparent (and hilarious) political commentary, but most recently, she has shared her long and difficult journey of the complications and loss of her third pregnancy. 

Right after announcing the expectancy of their third child back in August, Chrissy posted a thread of tweets explaining how shocked she was given that her two other children had to be conceived through rounds of IVF. Something I and many other fans noticed that was different about this pregnancy was that she did not share much about it at all. Few posts throughout September on Twitter mentioning food cravings, along with one Instagram post of her at home ultrasound. 

It wasn’t until the end of September, when she ended up being hospitalized, that Chrissy shared the health complications she had been having throughout her pregnancy. Finally, on September 30th of 2020, six months into her pregnancy, Chrissy posted a heartwrenching Twitter post of her sitting in her hospital bed, tears running down her face, and a paragraph announcing the loss of their child. In her post, she expressed the emotional pain, along with an apology to Jack, the name they had given their child, for all the complications he had gone through in his short time. 

“On this darkest of days, we will grieve, we will cry our eyes out. But we will hug and love each other harder and get through it.” 

Chrissy, who is known for posting bold and honest tweets, is not a stranger to receiving hate from others. While some people saw this post as a way for her to gain attention and commented that she just wanted pity, Chrissy’s post opened up a floodgate of support from fans, and shed light on the reality of what many women go through and often have a hard time sharing. Since her post, many women have had a platform to come forward about the pain and suffering they felt they had to endure alone after the loss of their pregnancy, because it is a topic that still makes so many people uncomfortable, even with how common it is. 

I found it extremely brave and honest of Chrissy and her husband to open up about their loss. Sharing her story in raw, and complete honesty shows that it is, and should be more normalized to speak up about the things that many people should not have to face alone!

Allie Nowak

Illinois State '22

Editor-in-chief for Her Campus at Illinois State University.
Contributor account for Illinois State