Choosing the right apartment for next year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

We need to start making those tough decisions which will ultimately affect us for entire the following year… It’s time to decide where you will be living and who will be your future roomies!

Here at ISU, we are lucky enough to have several housing companies that all provide many different qualities that will most likely fit at least some of our standards. The most common and popular companies on campus are Young America, First Site, and Redbird Housing.
All three of these companies have many apartments and houses to choose from. But before deciding which company to sign with, it is important to know exactly what you want.

Questions to keep in mind and ask yourself when looking at apartments.
How is the location in relation to the campus or my work, how many rooms are there, how many bathrooms, does it come furnished, can I paint the walls, are utilities included in the monthly rent, how old/new are the appliances, is there cable, Comcast, Direct TV, etc., are there windows in every bedroom, is there a patio or deck, how many parking spots are there, how safe is the location, is there security or security cameras, where are my friends living?

Know your roommate’s needs.

Keep in mind it is also important to know what your roommate(s) is looking for in an apartment/house. You want to be able to come to some sort of agreement on what is important to the both of you and what sort of things you both need. Remember- A happy roommate equals a happy home!

Determine what you can afford.
Each apartment or house on campus varies dramatically in price. It’s not bad choosing a cheap apartment or choosing an expensive one. As long as you love your new home you will be happy. Everyone has a different budget. However, keep in mind that you get what you pay for.

Heck,we even found out information about the three popular ISU realties for you.

Young America has both on and off campus living options. It has been providing student apartments in the area for over 30 years and is still a student favorite. Some popular housing units include Kensington, Huntington, Rutherford, Willow Trails, and The Lodge. These apartments come fully furnished and utility is included in the monthly rent.

First Site also has on and off campus living options. It now has 72 locations and 24 hour maintenance service. A very large and popular location of theirs is The Oaks. Although it is a little farther from campus, they have a pool and club house as well as 42” flat panel TV’s.  First Site also has several locations on Cherry Street which is extremely close to campus.

Just like Young America and First Site, Redbird also has on and off campus living options. The difference is that not all Redbird buildings come furnished, and utility is not included in the monthly rent…. which can be a positive or negative! But because the utility is not included, the monthly rent is usually a little lower in cost. A cool way to look for an apartment through Redbird Housing is by using their Comprehensive Search Option on their website. Here you can list exactly what you want such as number of bedrooms, bathrooms and the most amount of money you are willing to spend, and it will give you a list of apartments that will fit your request.

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.