Celebrating Latino Heritage Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

“The Latina in me is an ember that blazes forever.” – Sonia Sotomayor

Sept. 15 was chosen as a starting point of Latino Heritage Month because it is the anniversary of independence for five Latin American countries: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua. A few days later Mexico and Chile celebrate their independence on Sept. 16 and 18.

The month long celebration began 28 years ago when Ronald Reagan decided a month long was needed for the celebrations of Latinos, Sept. 15-Oct. 15. The reason we celebrate Latino Heritage Month is to honor and recognize the contributions and success made by Latinos in the United States. Here at Illinois State, Her Campus wants to celebrate the achievements and success of Latino students and staff and the incredible impacts they are making in our community!

Chloe Kasper, Junior

Mexican and Venezuelan

Treasurer of Illinois State University’s Chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America

Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Illinois State

Dr. Maura Toro-Morn

Puerto Rican

Sociology Professor

Director of the Latin American and Latino/a Studies Program

Award Winner of the David Strand Diversity Award

Valeria Berrum, Junior

Mexican

President of Association of Latin American Students

Secretary and Membership Chair for Omega Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated

Alternative Breaks Trip Leader 

Professor Marinelly Castillo- Zuniga 

Venezuelan

Spanish Club Advisor since 2007

Member of American Council on Teaching Foreign Languages

Selena Gonzalez, Junior

Mexican

Golden Apple Scholar

Member of Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Incorporated

Resident Assistant

Bowman Fellow Endowment Scholarship Winner

Admissions Tour Guide

This month, celebrate Latino Heritage Month and the rich cultures within the Latino communities in the best ways! 

Arielle Steward

Illinois State

Hey guys! My name is Arielle and I am a sophomore at Illinois State University majoring in Public Relations! (Holler to my PR Girls!) Demi Lovato is my life guru and hero. I listen to ALL types of music! I am very proud of my culture being African American, Puerto Rican and Polish, and love to express it in any way I can!
Contributor account for Illinois State