This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The first time I met Cara was my first interaction with anyone at Illinois State. I was a nervous freshman on move-in day and she was the kind Resident Assistant that handed me my key and told me that if I needed anything, her room was across the way from mine. This is her first semester as a RA in Hewett Hall on floor 12. Cara and I became very good friends, even though she is also my RA. I help her with the bulletin boards and the door decorations every month, and I hangout on her futon when my neighbors decide to be obnoxious. I am so happy she gave me the chance to interview her, so I hope you enjoy getting to know Cara as much as I have.

Name: Cara Shapkauski

Year/Major: Sophomore Graphic Design major

Hometown: Bourbonnais, IL

Newest Netflix Addiction: Shameless

Her Campus: Who is someone that inspires you, and why?

Cara Shapkauski: My mother is my inspiration. She has a very loving personality and is very considerate. She is also very people oriented; I try to be like her in all those aspects.

HC: So, you are a graphic design major. What made you want to choose that major?

CS: I love working in the arts field. I took a photography class when I was in high school and got very into it. The photography class exposed me to other forms of media, graphic design being one of them. Graphic design is a broad enough art major with endless possibilities that will give me the opportunity to work in different settings and ultimately do what I love.

HC: What do admire most about your major?

CS: I will get the artistic freedom that I want within a job setting. I won’t feel like I will be restricted as an artist.

HC: What is the future job that you hope to obtain?

CS: I want to work in advertising. I would want to work for a magazine or some form of media. I hope to change the way women are seen in advertisements – from negative and derogatory, to showing women in a positive light.

HC: What made you want to come to Illinois State?

CS: My mother is an alum, so I always pictured ISU as college when I was younger. Once the time came to choose I looked at two other schools, but ISU felt the most comfortable. Since the campus is smaller, it has more of a community feel to it that the other schools I was looking at. The compact campus gives a homey feeling. I also chose ISU because of financial reasoning, it was much more inexpensive than my other choices.

HC: How do you like being here at ISU?

CS: I have loved it since I got here last year. Freshman year was great, I met a lot of new people and formed a lot of new connections. I was fortunate enough that a group of girls from my high school also were attending ISU with me, so I adjusted almost instantly. Now that I am a sophomore, ISU truly feels like my home away from home, because of all of the relationships I have formed since being here.

HC: What is your favorite spot on campus?

CS: My favorite spot is probably the Center for Visual Arts (CVA). I spend a lot of time in CVA because most of my classes are in there. The studio is almost always open. Not a lot of people are in CVA most of the time, so you get a whole area to yourself. The Airport Lounge is also located in CVA, so I can conveniently get food and some tea when I need too.

HC: What made you want to become a RA?

CS: I love the idea of all of the people and the community that being a RA creates. It also lets me artistically express myself with the door decorations, the themed bulletin boards, and the different programs and events I create as well. I am able to apply all of these creative elements with being a RA and I love it.

HC: What do you like most about being a RA?

CS: I like the sense of community it creates between my residents and I, and between myself and the other RAs. It has helped me gain so many friendships that I never would have created if I wasn’t a RA.

HC: How do you balance being a RA and a student?

CS: My classes this semester are more art based, so the work happens in the classroom rather than outside of class. This gives me more free time overall. I make sure that I find balance with my schoolwork and my RA deadlines. My planner helps me out with this too, because it helps me keep track of all of the things that I have going on!

HC: What are some of your hobbies?

CS: I like to write and scrapbook. I also enjoy running. Photography is also one of my biggest hobbies as well, I enjoy going out a shooting with my camera.

HC: What RSOs are you involved in here at ISU?

CS: I am involved in two RSOs – Photography Club and Cornerstone Church

HC: How long have you been involved in those RSOs?

CS: I have been involved in both of those RSOs since the first semester of my freshman year.

HC: Why did you join those two organizations?

CS: I joined Cornerstone because faith is important to me. I went to church at home, so I wanted to carry that over once I got here to ISU. I run the media aspects of CC. I also help with the technology portion during service. It is a great group of people; I am so blessed to be able to work with them. On the other hand, I joined Photography Club because of the people. This club boosts my experience as a photographer because I get to work with other shooters.

HC: What is your favorite part of each RSO?

CS: My favorite part about Cornerstone is the sense of community that the Church has. We are all so close that it feels like family. I also love the volunteer opportunities I get with the technological aspects during the services. My favorite part about Photography Club is seeing all the creativity. I get to observes all the shooters different styles and work, and see what they are truly passionate about and the way they express that.

I’d like to give a special thank you to Cara, for not only being awesome by letting me sit on her futon to interview her; but for also being the best RA that my floor could ask for!

Renata Serpico

Illinois State

Freshman at Illinois State - Golden Apple Scholar
Contributor account for Illinois State